Topic

Montbell Colors

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Kari Post BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2009 at 6:05 pm

This is probably a rather silly question, but I purchased a Montbell UL SS Down Hugger #2 for my boyfriend for Christmas and when it came it looked a lot more gold than yellow like advertised on the Montbell site and in their catalog. The photo of this sleeping bag on ProLite Gear looks a lot more like the actual color I received. I think they should call it "Goldenrod" instead of "Sunflower."

Anyway, my boyfriend wants to buy the Montbell Peak Rain Shell and we both like the green "Muscat" color on the Montbell site. However the color of the "Muscat" green on ProLite Gear is more of a dingy khaki color than the vibrant green on the Montbell site. For those of you that have or have seen the Muscat colored Peak Rain Shell in person, which is more accurate?

Obviously, color doesn't affect how the rain shell will perform, but he wants to be happy with his purchase. If the Muscat looks like it does on ProLite Gear, I think he'll go for a different color.

Thanks!

John S. BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I'd call or email prolite gear and ask them to give an opinion on the colors of the two sites.

PostedJan 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm

What's the sleeping bag look like outside? I recently got a Peak jacket in orange and my friend got the dark green. We had to take the dark green jacket outside to convince the store owner that it wasn't black. Natural light *really* affects how these things look. I know I have seen the Muscat in person but it just didn't do anything for me so didn't pay attention as to if it matched the Montbell site pictures.

PostedJan 7, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I find most of the Montbell colours to be pretty ugly. Which is a pity, because they use the same colours every season even in their jackets. Do they really sell any "rust" coloured down jackets?!

Brad Rogers BPL Member
PostedJan 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Not to sound like a jerk but does it really matter that much what color it is? I mean who actually sees you and cares in the backcountry? It isn't a fashion show.

Montbell makes great gear. I have a Alpine Down Jacket, a Thermawrap Jacket, and a pair of Thermawrap Pants.

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedJan 8, 2009 at 7:56 am

In my experience these colors are (i) shiny and ugly and (ii) not accurately represented on MB's website. Olive green is particularly garish. Fortunately all that I now own are mid-layers, so they are usually not visible. I agree that it's not a fashion show in the backcountry, but I like gear that looks good around town too.

Kari Post BPL Member
PostedJan 8, 2009 at 11:29 am

This is not a matter of whether or not to order a garment based on color, its which color to order. Function and performance are obviously the most important factors when picking outdoor gear, but if I have choices, I might as well pick the color I like best.

Also, Chris and I are photographers and we plan to sell recreation and adventure photos from backpacking trips. It would be awful to have an advertiser or publisher choose someone elses photo over one of ours because the hiker featured was wearing some hideous puke green jacket.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 8, 2009 at 11:52 am

Not answering your question… but I do my best to stick with 'gunmetal' — which is actually quite nice. My Peak Shell jacket, however, is "strong blue" — which is indeed strong — but tolerable.

Personally, I hate two-toned color scheme, which seems to be the trend in the last year or two. I'm glad I bought all the garments I need for now. I prefer single color –preferably understated.

PostedJan 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I have the ulss #2 and noticed they did change the color in their new stuff slightly over my bag, which is 2007 model. I like the new color better, lol. And yes, the rust jackets are a very wierd copper color, but whatever, I am colorblind in most clothing choices anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...