Topic

Wide brimmed hat?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I already have a nice wide brimmed Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat but was wondering if there was something as wide brimmed out there that is much cheaper. Thanks.

Mary D BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2009 at 7:24 pm

You can have my Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat when you can pry it off my cold, dead head….

Sam Haraldson BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2009 at 10:46 am

I swear by my Tilley Lighterweight LT5 but it was by no means cheap. For a cheap sun-hat I used to use a nylon thrift-store find.

Tim F BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2009 at 11:13 am

Check out the fishing section in your outfitter and the big sporting goods stores. I have one that is the same basic shape as an Army boonie hat, made from supplex nylon and has a 1/2 ring of mesh near the top of the crown. I got it for $15 at Scheel's, but I have seen very similar designs at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. Just make sure whatever hat you get has a stiff enough brim. This one deforms in even moderate wind. Good luck.

I definitely agree about the Tilley; excellent and expensive!

Jason Klass BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I have an old, beat up Tilley T-3 and love it, but it's pretty heavy. The synthetic ones are lighter, but don't meet your criteria of being cheap.

Believe it or not, my favorite wide-brimmed hat is an Army surplus hot weather hat (tan). You know the kind–the one with the straps around the crown to hold bullets. It's relatively light, good UV protection, comfortable, and a steal at 10 bucks. If you lose it, it's cheap to replace.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...