Topic

GoLite Shangri-La 3/Hex in winter

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedJan 3, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Hey all,
Just received my Shangri-la 3 (the newer Hex) in the mail today (the day I get how from a snow camping trip, of course)…

I have some questions about winter use for those that have one:
For some reason I was under the impression that it had tie-outs halfway up the body but it doesn't.

Has this been an issue for you in high winds/during winter use?
Has anyone sewn their own on?
Thanks.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Neither my Hex, or my Shangri-la 3 has tieouts. Haven't had either out in really big wind.

PostedJan 5, 2009 at 6:37 pm

This is my favorite two man, four season tent. The absence of tie outs is not a thought that I have even entertained or noticed until you raised it. Probably you have pitched it up by now and are satisfied and reassured of its wind worthiness as well?

PostedJan 5, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I've only had it a few days- no chance to get it out yet… hopefully this weekend or the next.
It looks like it's a pretty good shape for shedding wind…I was only concerned with the lack of upper tie outs because I'm used to seeing them on "4 season" tents for added stability (my heavy double wall has them and is much lower profile).
I'm only wondering because the shangri-la is pretty tall, even when pitched at it's lowest.
In snow I'll probably sink it into a pit to decrease its profile height; I suppose time will tell if I want to add extra tie-outs.

Hopefully I don't learn the hard way in big weather.

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I have not taken my Hex out in the snow but I have been caught in 2 big storms(very windy) in the Sierras. The pyramid shape is almost bomb proof. You have to give a lot of credit to the Indians who over time came up with Teepee shape. They sure knew a lot about gear- back in the day.

-Jay

PostedJan 5, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for boosting my confidence- just trying to get an idea of what it can handle/how I might need to alter it.

Michael Martin BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2009 at 9:32 pm

>> …just trying to get an idea of what it can handle/how I might need to alter it.

I have one of the original Hex's — not even a Hex "3".

I agree with the other posters. It is great in Winter, though I have never had it out in extreme snow or wind conditions.

A few notes:

1) I clipped off the plastic clips and stock webbing straps that come with the tent and replaced them with long cord and "Figure 9" tensioners. This allows me to loop the cord under a deadman and tie it back off to the tent, even with numb hands inside thick mitts. In fair weather, the long cords also allow an extreme elevated pitch for more room inside and better ventilation.

2) To create a quiet, taut pitch in high wind, be sure to use the additional 5 side edge tieouts. I've pre-tied cords to these to use when needed (without Figure-9's to save weight).

3) A Ski works great instead of the usual pole if you get the length just right. It can be angled somewhat to adjust the height. You may have to build a mound or dig a hole for the ski to get the height you want. I've used my plastic ski boot shell on the end of the ski to prevent the ski from sinking too far into the snow if the snow isn't firm enough for the ski alone.

-Mike M

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...