Topic

Cuben questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Hi,

I am looking to make a cuben tarp out of the .66/yd. I am considering using 4 yards to get a 2 person tarp of approximately 8×6. To do this I would have to put the seam perpendicular to the ridge due to the width of the material.

I would most likely tape and sew it. Would this be strong enough in shear to get a tight enough pitch?

The second project would be a pack. I noticed that the Blast packs are made of material in the 1.5oz/yd range. How is it that the weights for the cuben packs with the heavier material, are lighter than the identical Sil products (1.3 oz)
    from z- packs?

Thanks,
    Greg

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Just my opinion, but the front and back guy lines would put a potentially large load on the seam. Probably better the have a seam running along the ridge.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Shouldn't make any real difference.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

I am no expert, but I believe that the weight used to refer to sil is from before the nylon is coated/impregnated with silicone. Finished silnylon actually weighs more than the weight used to refer to it (I think that "1.1oz silnylon" typically weighs around 1.3 oz/sq yd) and this could be what makes the packs made of silnylon weigh more than the cuben packs.

You could always ask the manufacturer this question about his pack weights. I know he is sometimes on this site, or should have contact information on his website.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Thanks for the replies.

Dennis- I would prefer a seam along the ridge if only for asthetic reasons. That would take 2 more yards of abric at a cost of around $60 more.

David- Thanks, I know you have probably experimented with cuben quite a bit.

Greg

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Greg –

"…a 2 person tarp of approximately 8×6. To do this I would have to put the seam perpendicular to the ridge due to the width of the material."

I must be missing something here –

Quest sell 54" wide Cuben. Seaming it and hemming it should leave you with at least 104" – about 8.6 feet wide – pretty typical for a 2 person tarp, and as long as you would like to make it, with the seam running head to foot.

What forces you to place the seam perpendicular to the length?

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Thanks for the replies!

Denis- i would prefer a seam along the ridge if only for cosmetics- but at close to $30 yard, I don't know if it is worth an additional $60.

David- That is kind of what I was thinking- it's good to hear it from someone who has some experience with it.

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Thanks for the replies!

Denis- i would prefer a seam along the ridge if only for cosmetics- but at close to $30 yard, I don't know if it is worth an additional $60.

David- That is kind of what I was thinking- it's good to hear it from someone who has some experience with it.

Thanks,
    Greg

Jay Trent

@jay590

Locale: blue mountains, Australia

i thought his blast packs were make from 1.0 oz cuben but i could bew rong

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I asked Joe about 3 weeks ago and he said

"The cuben used in my backpacks is 1.5 oz / sqyd. My stuff sacks use .6 oz. I sew the seams, no tape.
    ZPACKS/Materials

I wouldn't use the lighter materials on a backpack or a bivy bottom unless you plan on taping repairs often."

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Greg,

I am having trouble still with posting from my home computer- it's not updating the posts for some reason. So sorry for the delay in getting back to the posts.

I would like an 8' long tarp and I plan on buying a 9 yard panel from Cubic tech. It is 50" wide. there are two ways I could sew it;

Seam along the ridge = 2x 2-2/3 yds for an approximately 8×8 tarp. material = 5-1/3 yards

or

Perpendicular seam = 2 x 2 yards for a 8'X 6' tarp. material =4 yards.

I don't need an 8×8, it would cost more, and use material that I would like for other projects.

I suppose I could trim one or both panels down and then use the resulting 1' x 8' scraps in the other projects.

Is my math or thinking off somewhere?

Greg

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Greg,
    Just based on "two person" I leapt to the assumption of a SpinnTwin dimension of 110" front edge, 83" rear edge, and 117 +/- ridge, where a seam on the ridge works out easily.

So, your math is good, my assumption was not.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools