Topic

Your 0.0oz Luxury Item

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Chris Morgan BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Hi Folks,

I've been ruminating over my gear list, and we always talk about so called luxury items – those items which are not necessary but are nice to have on a trip. So I was wondering, do you have any tricks up your sleeve to make your existing ultralight pack items into something luxury?

A simple example would be using your bear canister as a seat (bear canisters are necessary, seats are nice but not necessary), but I'm sure there is more creativity here. Multiple use items do not count if they are serving multiple necessary purposes.

Cheers,
Chris

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2009 at 12:57 pm

2L Platypus used as a pillow. The shape of the bladder filled with H2O fits perfect under the head. Plus you can get a drink in the middle of the night.

-Jay

PostedJan 3, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Ever had one of those pop on you? I've always been a little hesitant to use a Platy, even filled with air, as a pillow for fear that it might pop…

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedJan 3, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I have never had that happen- I guess I have been lucky. I have also stuffed the Platy in a clothes bag and then added clothes for more head comfort.

Sam Haraldson BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2009 at 10:55 am

One example of a 0.0 luxury item would be knowledge of proper site selection. I remember a night I spent atop Copper Butte along the Kettle Crest National Scenic Trail in Eastern Washington. I picked a site near a demolished fire lookout. There was various detritus lying about from the old, some of which included parts from the outhouse. Moving these items around I was able to fashion quite a comfortable “lazy boy” which I faced Westward for a stunning view of the setting sun.

PostedJan 5, 2009 at 11:31 am

well – i guess you were not aiming for this…but for solo hiker like me the most influential luxury item is a hiking buddy, especially if i manage to hike with a real BFF. Changes the whole hike. Time flies,share shelter, med kit, cookkit etc, good in emergency – who could ask for more.

Mike

PostedJan 6, 2009 at 12:13 am

Shelter (Hennessy Hammock) as chair. (Yeah, I know this one is borderline cheating since Hennessy advertises it that way. It's still wonderfully comfortable!)

RidgeRest sleeping pad as cushy seat pad by the campfire.

Pack as footrest to soothe aching tootsies by elevating them. (Works best when pack is full and used in conjunction with stretching out and relaxing on above RidgeRest sleeping pad.)

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedJan 6, 2009 at 5:47 am

I don't know that I could top site selection or a hiking buddy; unless it was by picking a good weather window. Or picking downhill trails!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...