Topic

Beer Can Stove Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Beer Can Stove Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

Hello all,

I just built my first beer can stove and it seems to work well (although, I've never used one before this). It brought 16oz of tap water to a roiling boil in 6 minutes in 25-30 degree weather, then burned another 3 minutes with 1 oz of Heet. It weighs .25 oz, and the windscreen/pot support is another .5 oz.

It seems this is fine for boiling water, but what if we catch a fish or two? Has anyone cooked (rather than boiled water) with an alcohol stove? Particularly a beer can stove?

This is the one I built…
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_open_jet_alcohol_stove.html

Thanks for your comments/suggestions…

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

One of the easiest methods of cooking fish is to poach them. I cut the fish into sections that will fit in my pot and use only a little water. You must keep gently "stirring" them about to cook them properly.

I haven't used an alcohol stove to do this but you might try it. I don't really think that alcohol stoves are meant to do much more than boil water. They require a very efficient wind screen to work effectively.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I don't see why this wouldn't work. As long as you didn't need much time to cook it. Sounds like you would have about 10 min of cook time with the 1 oz of fuel. That should be enough time to get it cooked. Of course, you could always give it a try at home before you do it on the trail.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

How much alcohol will your stove hold?

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

My stove will hold at least two ounces, but I don't know how it burns filled that high…I have to give it a try. That would, in theory, give me about 20 minutes of burn time. I'm also tinkering with a larger aluminum can which I think could easily hold 3-4 ounces (if need be).

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I made a "pressure" type, top jet, stove using two Fosters 24oz. cans. I made it tall enough to take 4oz.of alcohol. It's been a while ago and I don't remember how long it burns, but it allows the flexibility to burn for any time I might require. Can you post a photo of your stove?

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Here's the stove…Alcohol Stove Close-UpAlcohol Stove

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Nice work. I only bothered to polish my stoves if they were to be gifts. I have made some similar stoves, but mine had side burner jets. They work best with large diameter pots. Is the can you used the same diameter as a coke can? If so you might use a larger diameter can to increase the volume. Alcohol stoves are fun to build. There are so many designs to try. Though they all work about the same. The big variable is the stove/pot/windscreen relationship. I believe the Caldera Cone, with most any stove, is the most efficient way to go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools