Topic

Kahtoola KTS Alum. vs Steel vs CAMP XLC 490’s

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Patrick Young BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Anyone have experience with both the Kahtoola KTS Alum and Steel versions?
How do they compare?
Also, anyone with experience with the CAMP XLC 490 crampons?

These are the 3 choices I've narrowed my crampon search to for use with trail runners and light boots.

Thanks in advance.
Pat

PostedDec 31, 2008 at 2:52 pm

I have the XLC 490's.
I think they're a great lightweight crampon for non-technical backpacking/climbing/hiking- I used them on a mellow hike this morning. Just don't step on rock with aluminum spikes unless you want to replace them every trip.
They fit trail runners and light hiking boots well and come on and off easily.

A word of advice (no offense if you're already aware of this- I always mention it to people I know that are looking into getting crampons):
If it's steep/hard enough that you need crampons and an axe to cross it, I strongly recommend getting training and practicing arrests before heading out somewhere. An axe is one thing, but if you fall and slide with crampons on and aren't in the habit of keeping your feet up, you're going to be in big trouble.

Patrick Young BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for that like. It really helped. I'm going with the steel Kahtoolas. Found them at mgear.com for $30.00 off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...