Topic

How do you pack sleeping bag and bivi??!??

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedDec 31, 2008 at 3:04 am

So in the past when i was packing my gear i would use a dry bag for the sleeping bag (i now moved to sea&summit event compression sack/drybag – good combination)
but now that i use a bivi i am somewhat confsued:
My initail logic was – place the bag inside the bivi and pack together. this way when i take them out i am ready to climb in, so if i have very little shelter and there is precip i can do it fast.
But then i thought – what happens when i repack then i get the wet outer part of the bivi in with the dry bag inside…..maybe not so good.

How do you guys do it? is there any solution to have the system both ready to use and keep the wet off the bag?

Mike

John S. BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2008 at 6:31 am

Sleeping bag + water resistant bivy:
I use a pack liner (polyethylene bag from BPL or GG) and stuff the sleeping bag and equinox bivy in original stuff sacks. Personally, I would never use a compression sack to compress smaller than original stuff sack size.

Sleeping bag + water proof bivy:
I would do the same except the water proof bivy if wet would be packed on top of (and outside) the pack liner.

In each situation I would never stuff my sleeping bag in any bivy for that very reason that the bivy could be somewhat damp/wet from condensation.

todd BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2008 at 8:12 am

Michael,

I stuff my bivy into an outside pack pocket. Never with my sleeping bag, although I never had a problem packing them seaparately inside my pack.

Todd

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedDec 31, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I never ever run any risk of compromising my sleeping bag. It goes in a plastic bag inside a silnylon stuffsack, inside a fairly waterproof pack.

Cheers

PostedJan 1, 2009 at 10:20 am

I guess ya'll think the same on this issue…hmmm

so assuming i indeed keep the bivi and bag separate – is there any trick you use to very quickly set it up if precip?
obvioulsy that minute in the rain can ruin the bag as well
m

PostedJan 1, 2009 at 10:24 am

I use a small tarp. Set it up first and take down last.

Then you can eat, dress, sleep with some shelter.

In real bad thunderstorms, I just sit on my pad and wait
out the storm before I take out my sleeping bag.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 4, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Hi Michael

Can't help you too much there. I use a tent and pitch it first of course. If the inside is wet from the previous night I sponge it out and hope to let it dry for 5 minutes or so. (This may or may not work of course.) Dave's comment is along the same lines.

Black Swamp, evening
Black Swamp, Barrington Tops, evening

Black Swamp, morning

Next morning, same place, rain cleared.

Oh yes – in that sort of weather my tent is carried outside the main compartment of my pack, just under the lid. So I don't get rain inside my pack.

Cheers

PostedJan 10, 2009 at 6:05 pm

I'm no expert, but I have done the same thing as you. There is No mention of a tarp — assuming You have a small pack that requires compression of bag and bivy. No tarp must indicate a water- proof bivy, so whats the question – the inside of the water proof bivy should not be wet so stuff away and pack them together. I zip my waterproof bivy up right when I get out, and when I am ready to pack it I shake as much water off as possible and then pack it with the sleeping bag inside – I have never had a problem doing that. So it sounds like you are right on – not many other available options unless you are willing to pay the weight penalty for a small tarp.

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedJan 10, 2009 at 9:21 pm

A requirement for the new pack I bought last year was that it have a big mesh pocket to hold a wet bivy outside of the main compartment.

My sleeping bag goes inside a stuff sack, inside a trash compactor bag in the pack main compartment.

Bivy goes in the side mesh compartment of the SMD Starlight.

PostedJan 11, 2009 at 4:04 am

Stephan,
Yeah – my original thoughts were like yours. But what happens is that the indide of the bivi (regardless if i us emy micro tarp or not mind you) get wet from condensation and a bit from the entry/exit from bivi. since i either dont use bivi or use a really small one – if i get out in the rain or even just from rain wetting out everything around me there will be some wetness there.
I was also concerned that in a compressed state maybe the pressure on the surface of the bivi in some contact point would be great enough to pass the hydro head and leak in.
Have you used this technique for more than one night in a row? If so how did it feel in the follwoing night getting into the bag?

Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...