Topic

Gear for Around Town in Cold City

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedDec 30, 2008 at 5:01 am

I've lived in California my whole life (SF Bay area). I'm heading out to milwaukee, WI for the next 4 years (school). I have never seen snow. I was searching around on the web for what kind of cold-weather clothing i will need, and so I stumbled on this forum.

So… i have realized that this topic is fairly complex. Right now I'm just looking for the best (and cost efficient) method for being comfortable.

Probably, not for any active beyond walking, but i would rather not be sweating while inactive.

Richard Nisley BPL Member
PostedDec 30, 2008 at 5:46 am

A 650 fill down parka with a good DWR finish or Dry Loft membrane and approximately 1.5" of loft is the most cost effective cold weather city solution. Retailers such as Cabela's, LL Bean, or Lands End typically offer this type of garment at less than $200.

Select a garment that is larger girth than yours and the ability to seal all openings. This way, when standing around, you will maximize your warmth by sealing the openings. When walking, your metabolic heat rate will go up. Loosen the openings and the oversized parka will exhibit the bellows effect to pump out warm air and prevent sweating. This is the same sizing / openings technique commonly used by the Intuits.

PostedDec 30, 2008 at 6:31 am

Outdoor Reasearch also make an excellent line of towny weight down jacktets at reasonable prices Hard wearing, LOTS of big pockets, good value.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedDec 30, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Layers rule. It isn't always super cold and a layered system will allow you to adapt. I like a shell and a fleece. If you need more insulation, you can swap out the fleece for a down or synthetic fill (I like the latter). You can wear long underwear in the city too, although you might be too warm once you are in a heated building. Just adding a base layer top can keep you a lot warmer.

Hats, scarves and gloves will help a lot. Shoes with thicker soles really help on cold pavement, as will the right socks– layers work on your feet too. Consider traction as you might be waling on icy pavement.

Long coats are popular for city wear because they cover your legs. Standing at the bus stop in cold wind makes the design of a trench coat very clear. You can still use mountaineering layering principles under a citified garment.

BTW, I carry the same survival items in the city that I do in the woods– small first aid kit, pocket knife, flashlight, whistle, spare food, water, etc.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 30, 2008 at 10:08 pm

LandsEnd and LLBean both make good winter urban wear. I highly recommend that you take a look at their websites.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...