Topic

New Jam2 pack?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I was recently looking at packs and I discovered…

The pack labeled Jam2 mens on backcountrygear.com is 1 lb 10 oz. The pack labeled Jam2 on golite.com is only 1 lb 5 oz. I thought maybe that the one on golite was the womans version…but after more research the womens Jam2 is only 1 lb 3 oz.

So I dont really know what this is, the one on backcountry gear is $125, and the one on golite.com is only $100.

As Jamie Shortt told me through email, it could be a new 2009 version, but technically wouldnt that be a Jam3 pack?

If anyone knows please respond,
Thanks
-Noah-

te – wa BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Noah, I wouldnt trust Backcountrygear
look at the capacity. they say it has 30,100 cubic inches!! lolol
that does look like the newest Jam, but where are the hipbelt pockets?

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Hrm, that is odd.
The 2009 version will be about 4 oz heavier, but it also loses the watertight zipper. Bummer if it goes up $25 though.

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I’m pretty sure this is the new Jam2. The colors are all new. I doubt Golite would change the colors and run them on the old pack. I also heard some discrepancy about the hip belt pockets possibly not being on the Jam2 only on the new pinnacle (that is just from memory though I might be wrong). As reported though Golite did say the new jam2 would be several ounces heavier and would cost $25 more. Obviously the volume was mistyped (someone added a zero, an easy mistake when entering in thousands of products). Personally I would prefer to have the old pack. It looks like we are slowly loosing golite to the masses.

BTW, Prolitegear.com still has the old golite Jam2 for sale for $74. They have medium and large, but only in the tempest color (blue). Frontcountry has the same sizes/color for $76. Most of my other goto web retailers are showing the Jam2 out of stock…I'm guessing stock is clearing for the new models.

Jamie

CW BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Looks like they list the new Pinnacle as well.

New Pinnacle?

No hipbelt pockets and still has the watertight zipper but at 2 lbs now. Where did they add weight?

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Chris, I was just noticing the new pinnacle too…the old model is on sale. Also if you look at the ion, they look all new colors. So I think it is safe to say the backcountrygear has the new stuff.

As far as the weight I believe they have padded the hip belt wings and beefed up the back pads. This must be where the weight is coming in. I also noticed no hip belt pockets listed on the pinnacle so maybe they didnt make the final cut either.

These packs if anything would have been better with less features and weight….a Golite Jam2 Lite…I think Michael Stivers could deliver this pack for them.

Jamie

CW BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 5:48 pm

I agree they went the wrong direction. Two pounds is too heavy for a frameless pack IMHO.

te – wa BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 6:25 pm

These packs if anything would have been better with less features and weight….a Golite Jam2 Lite…I think Michael Stivers could deliver this pack for them

yeah Bro, I hear every new GoLite product comes with a few extra ounces of "Timberland".
I still have the old Jam. Aint never gonna get rid of it, unless Smithsonian comes 'a knockin

PostedDec 30, 2008 at 9:09 am

I'ts the 09 Jam, they just have all of the Tec info wrong. The new weight should be 1 lb 7 oz if I am correct. Ali

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedDec 30, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I'm going to guess they have the weight correct. The cu inches has been corrected at 3100. Also they are showing the Pinnacle at 2 lbs which is an additional 7 oz over the previous weight. This would be consistent with the Jam2 gaining 5 oz. Once the packs went into final production the actual weights may have been heavier then the prototypes. I'm sure someone will order one and give us the true scoop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...