Topic

Endurance or Epic Shell Jackets

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Does anyone manufacture shell jackets out of either of these highly water resistant fabrics? My idea is to use this as a shell jacket in the winter, as opposed to my fully waterproof shells(Goretext Paclite) to save weight and add breathability. It seems to me that a Pertex Endurance hooded jacket would be sufficient for snow and frozen rain.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 3:40 pm

EPIC jacket, Jugungal

EPIC jacket, summit of Mt Jagungal, 2008
Made it myself, love it.
But not good for heavy rain.

Cheers

t.darrah BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Wildthings "epic" wind pullover is very well made and provides good protection . I prefer the Houdini for three season use but for winter snowshoeing this is the pullover I use for wind and light snow protection.

Bill B BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Thom- why the epic over Hoodini in winter?

t.darrah BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Bill,
The WildThings epic pullover, for me, is more wind and weather resistant providing better protection in very cold winter weather. The Houdini being lighter and airier works better for three season use. I own both and this allows me to select the wind shell that I prefer for expected trip conditions and seasons.

The epic windshell allows me to endure bad winter weather conditions longer before having to pull out the Arcteryx LT. If I could only have one windshell I would likely select the Houdini and just resort to pulling out the hardshell sooner.

Others may have an opinion different then my own but this works for me.

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedDec 30, 2008 at 10:03 am

I agree with Thom on the WT Epic windshirt. I'm cold prone and use the Epic shirt whenever it gets below 40 F. It's especially good in snow, as it's waterproof enough to shed that as well as eVENT or Gore-Tex. Too warm for summer though.

Roger B BPL Member
PostedDec 30, 2008 at 10:11 am

I also have a Wild Things windshirt and thoroughly recommend them, well made and work in cold conditions very well. And this thread will ensure that your epic gear is cleaned correctly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...