Topic

Airing out my sleep system

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 11:40 am

It was such a hot day I decided to air all my down stuff. I figured while it was all out, I would show how my sleep system fits together. It involves 1 bivy bag, 2 down top bags, 2 down jackets and 1 pair down pants and socks. My base layer remains the same (BPL merino top and bottoms), and I always carry a microfleece top as well.

For short trips where I am almost certain it will not be much below freezing, I take the bivy bag, a WM POD30 and a MB UL down inner jacket:
sleep 1

Note the PODs are modified so a torso length Ridgerest (or DAM in winter) attaches via velcro:
POD bottom

For three season trips where I can't guarantee warm weather, especially if I'm not staying in huts, I swap the MB UL inner for a Nunatak Skaha hoody with front pocket:
skaha

Note the Skaha has been modified to add a drop tail:
drop tail

If I know for sure it's gonna be below freezing at night, I add a pair of MB down UL inner pants. This keeps me comfy down to ~-7 celcius:

3-season

For dead of winter alpine trips, I swap the POD30 for a POD15, and throw in a pair of down 'socks'. This is one hot sleeping combo!winter

PostedDec 30, 2008 at 2:21 pm

The only things I don't like about my system are 1) The winter FAT suit look, and 2) The atrociuos colour combos. But I would honestly be even more embarrassed if everything was tastefully colour coordinated!

There is also a fifth season sleep system I call the "cuddle season". It involves the 2-person MYOG quilt outlined here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11371

Without a double skinned tent it is not good much below freezing due to drafts down the middle, but is great in huts and other areas protected from wind.

PostedDec 30, 2008 at 2:41 pm

The 'fat suit' look is a lot more appealing when temps drop in to the low 20's. There's something to be said for being cocooned in all that warmth even if you do look like a rainbow exploded…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...