Topic

Mountaineering boot reccommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Mountaineering boot reccommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I haven't been in the market for boots in over 8 years, but it's time for a new pair. Any recommendations on brands/prices are welcome- I know fit is a subjective thing, but I'm just looking for a starting place.
    I'm looking for:
    1. A boot for mixed climbing
    2. A boot that takes step-in crampons
    3. Something not too hot (comfort to around 10-15F would be good)
    4. I don't want to spend over $300.

Thanks…

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

Like you stated fit depends on the last of the boot, for a lower volume and average to narrow foot I would recommed the Lowa Mountain Expert GTX.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Kayland Apex XT's.

I don't own these but I do own the Kayland MXT's think they are superior to similar boots from other brands. Better fit, construction and materials. I'm very happy with them.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've already been out looking and the local REI and two different Sport Chalets don't carry ANY mountaineering boots- yet they all have axes, crampons, ice screws, etc.???
    They said they'd be happy to give free shipping to the store if I ordered online….completely oblivious to the fact that you'd be a Fool to buy them without trying on many different pairs.

Thanks for the responses, I'll keep my eye out for those models.

Scott Toraason

@kimot2

Small REI stores are not allocated mountaineering boots, however mid sized REI stores up here in the northwest as well as our Seattle flagship store does carry the Lowa Mountain Expert GTX and it is a highly regarded boot by customer feedback on REI.com. Best bet would be to contact your local REI store and they can do an inventory search for you to see if there is a store close enough to you in California with the boots and sizes for you to try on.

I wear a size 12 with my La Sportiva Nepal Evos, Trango S Evos, and Trango Treks, but with my Lowa Mountian Expert and Jannu I am an 11.5.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Its not step in compatible but i have those red sportiva trangos, incredible boots, you could try the other ones in the series with step ins, they look like they fit the bill perfectly for you.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Hey Craig,

Dunno if your still looking but I think Zappos is the best resource for trying on many different styles of boots. They have free shipping both ways and a larger selection than any store. Yes you do have to buy them up front but they also have a very liberal return/exchange policy. I bought from them many times and am a happy customer.

Happy shopping,

Roy

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

1. A boot for mixed climbing
    2. A boot that takes step-in crampons
    3. Something not too hot (comfort to around 10-15F would be good)
    4. I don't want to spend over $300.

The La Sportiva Glacier Evo's paired with some of the RBH VaprThrm socks would fit the bill.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

The Glacier EVo is a very good boot if they have the size you can get the La Sportiva Trango S EVO GTX from backcountry.com for $290.00.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've still been shopping around…pretty much decided on the Trango's, just because theye're a good deal lighter. They seem to fit me OK. I've heard they lack durability compared to the Glaciers and Makalus but I'm OK with that.

I was tempted to buy them during the Great Backcountry 40% Off Era (would've been only about $160- a steal), but I was still too poor to spend that much on shoes at the time…still am now.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Hey Craig,

If you like the La Sportiva Trangos, I would strongly recommend you try out the Kayland MXT's. I went through the same process as you about a year and half-ago. I orders several boots online to try out including the Trangos. In comparison, the Kaylands have a better fit (sculpted heel cup, mo' space fer yer toes, lacing that has less pressure points and a more flexible ankle), more durable construction/feel, use eVent and are slightly stiffer than the trangos. When looked at side by side the trangos look and feel like a joke. The Kaylands weight slightly more but the difference is < 2 oz per boot in a size 11. Anyways, something to consider.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools