Topic

New ULer in KY- shelter solutions?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedDec 27, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Hello all

I'm a camper/hunter that started backpacking not too long ago. Its ery enjoyable and something I wish to pursue. However, my friend whom I've done al my trips with so far, believes in carrying the most poundage to get a better workout… I am turning to you, the UL experts, to help me find the lightest 4-season shelter solution that would work in KY/IN/TN. It gets humid here in the summer and can get pretty cold/snowy in the winter.

I'm hoping to elicit some poncho/bivy/bags ideas or anything other creative solutions. I'm pretty durable when it comes to weather. Hoping this setup is waterproof, but doesn't need to be able to take a lot of snow (just a flurry or two). I'll pay for quality. Thanks!

-Caleb

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedDec 28, 2008 at 4:48 am

Caleb, If you don't mind paying for quality and can wait up to 4 weeks to have an item made for you then I would recommend you take a look at http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com.

As for bivy's, take a look at the Soul Bivy Side Zip or Superlight Bivy. If you like room order a wide.

Now pair the bivy's with either…

Sharing Shelter:
Trailstar, Silnylon Mid, or Duo Mid

or

Solo Shelter:
Patrol Shelter or Grace Solo Tarp

Cuben (sprectralite) is lighter but far more costly. Until you really know if this is the route you want to take you may want to stick with silnylon.

Jamie

Dana S BPL Member
PostedDec 28, 2008 at 11:57 am

another great site for affordable but excellent gear is http://www.gossamergear.com

I would recommend the GG SpinnTwinn Tarp. There's no weight penalty vs the grace solo spinaker tarp(~.8 ounces) and you get a larger coverage area!

PostedDec 28, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Thanks for the replies! They are very helpful.

I'm set on buying a tarp. It seems I just need to choose a material and size. I am somewhat confused as to what bag/quilt to buy. I saw some quilts on MLD and wondered what my best bet for 3-season use is. Most down bags I am seeing are considerably heavy. Is this something that needs to be put up with? Or could I get away with just a quilt, bivy, and thin GG sleeping pad? What are you guys sleeping on under your tarps?

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedDec 29, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Caleb, I use a 5×8 Silnylon Tarp by integral designs ($75). It weighs 6.5 oz. I sleep inside a MLD superlight bivy, also 6.5 oz. Inside that I use a Golite Ultra 20 Sleeping quilt at 19 oz. I sleep on top of a Gossemar Gear 3/8" sleeping pad trimmed to 38" and weighs 3.45 oz. I have used this setup down to 20 degrees and used it in substantial rain. If money were no object I would get a MLD grace solo in spectralite and I would get a Nunatak Arc Alpinist quilt. Also another great value choice for a quilt is Jack-R-Better no-sniveller.

The GG spintwinn is a nice option too. I tend to prefer small tarps because I dont spend much time in my tarp. I crawl in at night, sleep then wake up and cook breakfast at the opening. Smaller tarps also fit into smaller places and shed wind easily. I could not fit another person under my tarp nor be comfortable spending much time in it…that is where a Spintwinn will shine.

On down vs synthetic…high loft down (800 or 850+) will always outperform synthetic quilts as long as they are dry. Many synthetics have minimal loft and really must be used with other insulating garmets for them to go to low temps. They are great if your gear is likely to get wet, but if you are looking for warmth per ounce of weight then down is the way to go.

If you want a traditional sleeping bad then check out Western Mountaineering or the ultralight Marmot bags (i.e. the expenside Marmot bags…hydrogen & helium).

Jamie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...