Topic

A cheap solution for vacuum sealing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition A cheap solution for vacuum sealing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. I have not found any when I did a search so here goes.

I was at the market and came across this:fb1

It is a Ziplock brand (BPA-free supposedly) freezer bag that is designed to be vacuum sealed. A box comes with 12 Quart sized bags for $2.68 where I got it. They also had a larger size. The vacuum was right next to it and sold for $1.50 and came with several bags also.fb2

You simply place the vacuum in the patched area in the bag, and extract the air. The seal was pretty good (better if the surface is damp). I won't trust it for 6 months or anything I've yet to try it out. I liked the idea of the reusable bags.

Here is a picture of a vacuum sealed pack of index cards and detachable chopsticks. I didn't have any food to try it with. Sorry for the bad picture.fb3

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And for the record: all freezer bags are BPA free. BPA is used in polymers and in RIGID plastic. The bags are made of flexible food grade plastic.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Wow Jeff!

I gotta get one of those. Like you said, 6 mos sounds like a long time, but for a few weeks I would trust it.

Thx,
    Todd

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

ive been using a regular freezer bag and a straw. same effect. cost of straw: free

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Haha, same deal as a straw. Except for $1.50, it is pretty good for people that are incapable of sucking a golf ball through a garden hose.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The problem I have, when using balls caged from the next door driving range, is that the chopped up balls get stuck in the hose. Darn'd if I'm going to use a new Titlist.

Seriously… Try zipping the bags all the way shut, and then, pinch the zipper about a half inch from the end and opening that last half inch. Press the end of the zipper against your "pinched" spot, which opens up a small "blow" (suck) hole. When you have sucked the air out of the bag, keep sucking while you slide your "pinch" to seal the zipper.

Don't know about 6 months, but it keeps the bags flat while I stuff them into the stuff sack. All I'm trying to do is reduce volume for packing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools