Topic

Trail runners w/ crampons?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedDec 26, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Do those of you who use "trail runners" use crampons with them? I know you can use Microspikes, but Im talking about needing to occasionally use front pointing to climb steep icy trails where microspikes just dont cut it.
Also those heavy boots are an inexpensive way to get your feet warm- usually rated between -25 to -40 (200gms-400grms thinsulate).
So what temps do those using trail runners use them in?

– yes I have read the BPL article on winter footwear, but the article seems to be relevant mostly to flat-rolling terrain and not steep, icy, below zero trails.

Ed Tyanich BPL Member
PostedDec 26, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Brian,

I have used crampons with trail runners a lot. Both with Kong Aluminum and Kahtoola Aluminiums. They have quite a bit more bite than Microspikes but I would be concerned if you actually need to front point as I don't think a trail runner will have enough stiffness to support front pointing.

If you can use a French flat footed technique I think they would be ok. Trail runners and the light crampons aren't really ment for technical climbing.

Ed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...