Topic

Ridgerest samurai vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ridgerest samurai vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

as worn by.. ĘŁƑ ŅĮאĵă

Left it high in back so lumbar pad of pack doesn't yank it down.

Made a curving cut for the neck hole, not straight across. Lapel collar arrangement for venting would be nice. Like a T slice.

Uses a length of stretch draw cord and a cordlock. Got toggles?

This must have been done before.. It's warm and directionally windproof. Picture this with JRB down sleeves!

Speculation abounds about Isolates your insulation layers from back sweat, if you can get your jacket on over it..elf ninjaelf ninja 2

Merry Christmas!

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Montbell Ex Light and stretch fleece balaclava

It does fit under this jacket too.blue ninja group

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

lol

cool idea!

I would advice you to not wear Montbell Ex Light UNDER the vest. Down will get soaked. I think ridgrest will be pretty warm by it self. Try wearing a windshirt over it and report back.

___

I was thinking more about this idea while composing this reply. I think you may have opened up a new chapter in SUL insulation. I am sure we will see thinlight vest soon. Advantage of such insulation is that it can be used under you as sleeping pad at night without compressing. That also means pack weight and pack volume goes down.

This will keep me occupied in thoughts.

Merry Christmas!

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Mr. H, thanks for the kind words. So tempting to call it zero grams, since it is reuse. I like the idea of more costume-y backcountry getups.

It does fit under but robs me of that clingy down loveliness.

Over, I might still do it for non-aerobic. There is amazing ventilation, having no side-zips yet, and being fairly stiff and deeply corrugated.

I ordered some different type of foam from Oware, not so much a fan of Ridgerest since I cut an insole out of it and it crushed too flat inside a day. The idea came originally when inserting it in a backpack, but didn't have the guts to slice it up, so originally, the plan was to wrap it around the torso and have shoulder straps or short suspenders hold it up, similar to how cartoon characters wear a barrel when they are naked-broke.

This was kind of re-prompted by the 40-Below vest that someone posted in reply to you. So thanks! I had seen it a few days ago, looking at their overboots.. That, and a MYOG dog jacket made from the sleeve of an old raincoat. He is so low to the snow, it needs insulation, but no room for thicker stuff, plus foam is waterproof. And dogs don't sweat. Also, Mike Clelland!s 3-season gear list, how All the clothes say 'Part of Sleep System' kind of rattled around in my head and came out backwards..
    underdorg

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

No problem. This free exchange of ingenious ideas is one of the reason I love BPL so much!

>It does fit under but robs me of that clingy down loveliness.

Over, I might still do it for non-aerobic. There is amazing ventilation, having no side-zips yet, and being fairly stiff and deeply corrugated.<

I dont see much point of wearing ridgrest over down jacket but if you wish to, pls wear a VB jacket underneath. Aerobic or non-aerobic, at any point the vest is touching down jacket condensation will occur and sweat will accumulate in your jacket. Strongly NOT RECOMMENDED.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

>I ordered some different type of foam from Oware, not so much a fan of Ridgerest since I cut an insole out of it and it crushed too flat inside a day.<

I suspect the reason is that ridgerest is not meant for that kind of abuse. I have not used ridgerest but I have heard only good things about its durability from people who use it as a sleeping pad. I think it would be durable enough for a vest. But it will be too warm backpacking.

This thread will give you a good idea how much insulation you need for various activities down to 0F.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9378/index.html

Also check out GG thinlight:
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

I am particularly interested how 1/8inch pad will work.

Keep me posted.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Outside is great if you are a messy eater!

Now that you dare me, I'll Have to do it. It may accumulate just a smidge of ahem "localized humidity" as long as I don't overheat, but my body can dry it out no problem, it's so thin and has very little mass. The only place it really compresses the down in on the top of my shoulders, because the cord is loose.

Edit: 40-below uses alot of neoprene. Hmm. And they have foam.
    Their foam is cheaper, different size and color. Cool!

Edit again: Don't get me wrong, it's Ridgerest all summer, but it will be good to re-examine it more closely.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Paul,

This is a great idea. I made something like this to use in my hammock.

Sleeping Pads as Clothes.

"Back to the Future – SUL – SUL Bottom Insulation for a Hammock "

This part of the thread is almost at the bottom of the page.

Sleeping Pads as Clothes.

I really like sleeping in my hammock. My SUL – Cuben Hammock "hanging" weighs in at about 7 ounces. That in itself is very light, however, it is almost always necessary to add some type of bottom insulation to the hammock to keep my backside warm.

Etc – Etc…………..

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Trivia for the day: foam insulated garments were all the rage 'round about the mid 70s… I've got an old jacket, boardy, stiff, but neat…

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

How about using some thin evazote foam like the GG thinlight? The stuff is really flexible compared to a ridgerest and might work better in a garment.

I thought about this before but have never tried it. Glad to see someone pushing new ideas. Keep up the good work!

Unknown abc

@edude

Is that cotton fabric, Bill ?!?!?!?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Evan,

Yes, but.

That is my mockup pattern version made out of some throw away material.

All the final set will use 3/8" GG ThinLight™ pad. You can see some of it now. It is the gray looking stuff. The blue is some cheap Wal Mart or K-Mart sleeping pad foam. I used the cheaper stuff till I had it the right size.

I haven't decide what material I will use on the finial version. I might use Cuben to keep the weight as low as possible. If I don't use Cuben I will use either Light Silk or Pertex Quantum.

Unknown abc

@edude

Oh, I see.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

It's really a poncho. How about a pair of waterpoof sleeves, and side zips, to complete some type of rainwear?
    There's the hood that remains on my dryducks bivy, hum.

I chickened out on wearing it to go snowboarding today. 24-30" of fresh pow and bluebird sky is a priority. You'd be proud, I left my pack and water at home to lighten up.

Bill thanks for bringing that up, I have definitely seen it before and it did make an impression as a real weight saver. That is probably taking it to the logical conclusion. It would be great if they could be easily removed and added on to other pants as needed, or slipped in to help pad backpack straps. Couldn't really tell what you had planned there. Partial sleeve? 3/8" sounds like a burly thickness. That's great you put the link in to the other thread, there is so much stuff here to search for things is daunting, but even more distracting!

Huzefa, and Roy, thanks for the heads up, GG Thinlights are all in stock: LINK 1/8, 1/4, 3/8", closed cell crosslinked copolymer polyolefin foam. Tyvek foam? The warpely cross section of this very beat RR makes it somewhat flexible accoutrement. Kind of dreading the sheet stock, honestly.

Huzefa, thanks that chart was influential to gravitate towards spending too much time here. Nisely done.

Brad, I don't remember any foam clothes! Funny though. Can you post a pic, purty please? I can't imagine the styling.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

While I don't think I would go for this on a regular basis, it sure makes a good survival technique if you needed some extra insulation when yours is lost/damaged/soaked or you are caught in unexpected circumstances.

I'm glad to hear about the vapor barrier issues which would apply to using other improvised and impermeable materials (like a space blanket or garbage sack) in the same way.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Very Cool, Paul!

You get max style points and max multi-use points for this one. :-)

I love it!

I hope Ryan J. takes a look at this thread. This vaguely reminds me of him using a Torsolite as a…umm, "non Coast Guard approved"…PFD while packrafting. ;)

Happy New Year,

-Mike M

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Love it. Paul, have you worked as an extra in star trek? :-)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Awesome…Thanks!

liang kong
    BPL Member

@mcluxun

Locale: Tulsa,OK

cool design and fun apparel

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

There less sophisticated method of wearing foam pad – just wrapping it around a torso and securing it with a piece of string.

We used this to get some extra insulation for back when sitting around a fire on a cold night. It won't be very useful when one needs to move more, but in camp, it works.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools