Topic

UL Tarp poles

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedDec 24, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I'm looking for good solutions to poles for a small tarp, and since i am not using trekking poles i would need some UL ones. Alas the tradeoff is tough… I got the gossgear squall pole (14$ 50g 107cm) it ok but bendy and i suspect in high winds where i would like to make a real tight pitch would be an issue.
Anyone has other options that are light (my tarp is 100g so would hate pole that is heavier :)
Has anyone tried the MLD CF poles?

Mike

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 3:06 pm

If you look alongside the trail half an hour or so before you make camp, you're sure to come across a stick sturdy enough to be used as a hiking staff. Pick it up and carry it to your campsite (if you don't expect plenty to be laying around right at your campsite that is). A stick sturdy enough to hike with will also be sturdy enough to use as a tarp pole. Tie one end of your tarp to a tree (a guyline of 10-12' on this end makes this easier). For the end of the tarp opposite the tree, tie the stick into the guyline with a clove hitch, hopefully using the natural ridges and uneveness of the stick to keep the loop in place, and stake out the end. Total tarp pole weight carried = 0 grams.

I know I didn't answer your question–hopefully someone will chime in with specifics on those tarp poles. I just honestly don't see much worth in carrying designated tarp poles when sticks and trees are so plentiful…

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Maybe that is not so easy in Israel.
Tough question because all those standard Easton tent poles or the Fibraplex equivalent look too flimsy to me.
http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles.htm

Two poles side by side bound together ?
( you might remember than when the Soviets needed a more powerful engine to send a bigger load into orbit they just stuck another two of the existing version to the same rocket)
Franco

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Ultra light poles, whether aluminum or carbon fiber, are not large enough in diameter and tend to be bendy, when in compression. A larger diameter pole is necessary. You might find a scrap of light weight aluminum tubing which would work. I can understand you not being able to find a suitable stick, if you hike in Israel, or any desert.

Jim Colten BPL Member
PostedDec 25, 2008 at 7:29 am

Mike’s correct, the easton poles sold by GG and most UL shelter vendors do bow easily. I was comfortable with that for solo sized shelters before I started using trekking poles but it DID take some getting used to.

When I took our big HS Rainshadow on a canoe trip (no trekking poles) this past summer I opted for 0.38 inch diameter Easton poles instead of the size most(all??) UL vendors ship (0.344 inch diameter) at a weight “penalty” of 0.011 lbs (0.176oz, 5 grams) per foot of pole length relative to the lighter pole stock. Those are very stiff, even in a three section 48 inch pole like the Rainshadow uses.

I am lucky to work walking distance from a source of the poles, but you can order them at TentPole Technologies … I’m sure there must be other sources.

PostedDec 25, 2008 at 7:39 am

I could be completely in the dark about what is available on the market, but I'm actually surprised a UL manufacturer hasn't worked tarp poles into the structure of their backpack (dual use). When I breakdown my ULA pack, it has stays that I imagine could be tweaked in some way to form UL tarp poles. Just a thought for all you MYOG and UL manufacturers.

PostedDec 25, 2008 at 10:37 am

I have the MLD tarp poles, and they are definitely more robust/rigid than the Al tent poles or fibrplex tent poles. They fit the need for me.
Don

PostedDec 28, 2008 at 4:43 am

sorry for the late reply – was hiking over the weekend.

indeed here in Israel wood is hard to come by (in the south that is where the desert lies) or in jordan for that matter. Obvioulsy i might use that where climate permits.That being said – i like the comfort of knowing i have at least one pole with me if something happens and i want to camp somewhere where trees are not abundant. I use a micro tarp so one is enough (although with 2 you can pick up te lifter tab for more space.

Jim&Joe – thank for the reference i will look that up and maybe get me some!

Donald – have you used your MLd CF poles in serious wind?

Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...