Topic

Sporks, lovem or leave em

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
PostedDec 23, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Do you think the spork is the end all be all utensil or just another gimick for coolaid-drinking overpaid trendy wannabe Ultra Lite gurus who will buy anything stmped UL? Brilliant creation or spork in my side?

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Subjective — use it or leave it as you see fit. Who cares what others think?

Full Disclosure Disclaimer: I use a ti spork.

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Alan
That is a loaded question…
But first I need to know if the spork has UL stamped on it (adding weight) or engraved (subtracting weight)
Franco

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Duh– Thats way over my intelligence quotient.

I still use a spoon.

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Me too.
I use the long handle BPL Titanium spoon …
But I do have a Ti spork, and the Fire Light version (not the American size) and the Lexan fork and spoon
Franco

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Sporks are a set backwards in food delivery technology. Who actually uses a spork to spear their food?

The major disadvantage of a spork is that with it, I can no longer scrape the bottom of my pot for the last mashed potatoes like I used to. Oh the horror!

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 12:06 am

The spoon is simpler and elegant. The prongs on a spork are never made sharp enough to actually use it as a fork and it puts holes in the spoon. Other than that sporks are alright.

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 12:53 am

Maybe the coolest thing about sporks is being able to say “I’m going to get out my spork now” when it’s time to cook up a meal.

This will catch the attention of a newbie and undoubtedly engage them in conversation about lightweight backpacking, multi-use, etc.

You see, sometimes, you have to take one for the time in the interest of PR.

Having said that, my favorite utensil is the Long Handled Spoon when I’m freezer bagging and the Short Handled Spoon for small pot cooking, like with the 550. I still use this spork for trout fishing so I can flake the meat off the bones more easily.

You see, one must consider context! The world, it is not so black and white anymore!

Actually, I did a trip this summer with no utensil and ate with my fingers (no kidding). I LOVED it! Totally carnal!

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 11:07 am

All summer, I was using a cheap, plastic spoon that I got at my local creemee stand (ie soft-serve icecream for those who live in the other 49 states). I don't have anything against sporks, but I can't think of an instance when the "ork" was useful.

Also, since it was brought up. I've forgotten my spoon before and ended up making chop sticks out of two little branches. I was rather pleased with myself. :-)

-vip-

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 24, 2008 at 11:45 am

You can't find a single instance of the spork's usefulness simply because you have adapted your food servings around your spoon!

We Chinese love using our chopsticks. We can't think of a single instance when we needed knives to cut through our food. But that's just because we serve our meats in dainty bits and not in big solid slabs!

Food for thought?

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I use a GSI Pirahana Foon though. The bowl of the spork is huge, the fork part is not sharp and is easy on the mouth.

Besides that I use chopsticks and the GSI ReHydrate long handled spoon for eating/cooking.

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I love chopstick's, Lizzie is Indonesian so we eat lots of rice :) yum. I'm still a bit of a tard with them but use them often. Its funny when I was growing up we had a young Japanese family come to live with us and watching them try to eat with fork and spoon was hilarious. They finally flipped them backwards and used the ends like chopstick's. Oh if only I could re-live learning to use chopstick's. I don't think there is anything funnier than humans being humans. A

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Ben is correct, we adapt to what we know. I don't drive and often people look stunned when I tell them so…
Favourite eating utensils :
My fingers : when I can, for example Indian/Indonesian food or munchies/appetizers
Chop Sticks : Chinese/Thai , they don't interfere with the taste of food as stainless steel does
Western cutlery because I can't eat steak and potatoes with chop sticks
In the bush I don't cook, I do boil in the bag stuff, hence my long spoon.
Franco

Jason Klass BPL Member
PostedDec 24, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I have several sporks but prefer a spoon. None of the food I eat requires tines to "stab" so a spoon is fine. Plus, I think spoons are easier to clean as food doesn't get stuck between the tines.

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 2:21 pm

It really depends on what you like to eat. For backpacking I generally use a spoon, but find they don't work well with pasta (angel hair/ramen), so if it's on the menu I may take a spork.

A combination that I find works really well also is a spoon with chopsticks.

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 4:48 pm

My noodles/pasta is always broken up for packing purposes and eating ease, and a spoon (BPL SUL long handled Ti) works best. The tines on the spork, however, are quite a superb tool for cleaning under the toe nails.

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 5:18 pm

My favorite utensil is the Light my Fire Spork. It has both spoon and fork, (even though I thing the knife part is useless) for only 0.35 oz and a couple bucks. The only disadvantage is that it won't fit in a mug like a BPL Folding Spork will. Maybe if you devised a hinge for them, they would be perfect.

PostedDec 25, 2008 at 10:57 am

I don't use a fork at home, I don't use a fork in the bush. A spork would be even more ludicrous for me to carry than a fork…

Ryan, I'll bet your not a mashed potato and gravy kinda guy!?

te – wa BPL Member
PostedDec 25, 2008 at 2:47 pm

im bored. lets talk about sporks.
i use the LMF spork.
its a shoehorn, a chicken chucker, a fingernail file and cleaner, a frog spear, a weathervane, and you could use it for a tent stake, in a pinch. what else??
im gonna add a hinge to mine, thanks for the idea

PostedDec 25, 2008 at 3:41 pm

The Light My Fire Spork makes an awsome catupult!!!

And for y'all that don't know what the heck sporks are for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork

I like them better because you can eat anything with them, not just soup, I can actually pick up noodles and such.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 25, 2008 at 3:55 pm

I bought my folding titanium spork at Brasslite. I like how I can fit my stove, windscreen, fuel, BIC lighter, towel and spork — all inside my Firetlite 550 pot! The spork is on clearance now for just $8 — shipping included.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 26, 2008 at 7:46 am

I've used the 50 cent lexan spoons for a long, long time. They work great. Last year I bought a titanium spork because, well, it was a "Spork," which sounds fun and seems like a great idea, and because it was titanium, and I prefer to use metal over plastics, and it was lighter than the plastic anyway. But frankly I don't like the spork. I find that I just can't clean out a pot as well, it (horror of horrors!) scratches up my pot, and I've never used the tines. I prefer pots that are wide and shallow; I just bought the BPL short-handled spoon and think it's pretty brilliant.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
Loading...