Topic

Summer Insulation Layer Sugg.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedDec 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Looking for a quality insulation layer for summer backpacking to buy later on. Any suggestions? I am hoping to find one that weighs less than 12 oz. and is under $150.

Thanks for suggestions,
Evan

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I'm thinking about:

1.Montbell UL.Thermawrap Jacket Men's – 8.8 oz. $145

2.Montbell U.L.Down Inner Jacket Men's – 6.9 oz. $145

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Used WM Flight Jacket, used Bozeman Mtn Works Cocoon Pullover or Hoody.

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 4:54 pm

You get daily thunderstorms there, so synthetic? Or down, because so bringable and you can protect it.

Depending on the temps you expect, you can determine an appropriate thickness.

That is modified by your use pattern:

Do you hike all day and make a quick transition to your sleeping bag, with chores in between to keep warm? If less active, or major hangout time in camp, may want a boost to the thickness.

Are we talking major wind exposure, mountaineering? Go a little heavier. Some face coverage would be nice.

Are we talking try to survive overnight with just this jacket, if immobilized away from camp and gear? Hood for sure.
Or is this a fleece-replacement layer for aerobic activity? MB Thermawraps seem inordinately popular for that. Parka version for me.

How will it work with your sleeping system?

How packable does it need to be? Down < Primaloft < Polarguard Delta.

Much depends on if you are taking it for side trips away from the relative safety of your other warm gear.

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 4:58 pm

No, we don't have thunderstorms that often that it is a major concern, and I've already got a jacket I'm happy with for foul conditions. If I were to get one of these, it would be used for good weather. My Troop's style is more like hike a 10 mile day, set up camp, eat dinner, and enjoy the view and hang out around the campfire (when permitted ) til' around 10 o'clock.

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Too slow!

Mont-Bell say their Exceloft insulation is great when wet. It is pretty packable, not a belay jacket.
I found it to be very little insulation density, but also warmth came from having the two layers of cloth with a gap in between. Didn't test it, too small. People live in these.

No doubt the down is warmer by far for the weight. If you want something to knock around camp, and you are not worried about wetting or sweating. I don't think anyone has ever regretted getting one of these. Love my ex light!

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Campsaver 140
Prolite gear 116 limited selection.

I think they both have the parka, which is alot of warmth for little additional weight! Good for sleeping in.

PostedDec 23, 2008 at 8:39 pm

I have the Monte bell down inner with hood, but I just tried on the new western mountaineering flash jacket and I will definitely be switching when I get more money ($260). One hundred dollars more but with a little more down and 2 more ozs.The hood is better also with elastic. I like their gear.
Josh

PostedDec 25, 2008 at 9:35 pm

I'd go with the Parka because you're going to be with scouts and that means standing around. A lot of it. The parka has a hood and also uses thicker insulation than the jacket (50 v. 80 g/m). My men's medium (japanese large) weighs 12.77 oz and packs quite small.

Paul's analysis is spot on. I would add one thing, and that is temparature. Summer in the Midwest is different from summer in Colorado, for example.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...