Topic

Patagonia R1 hoody vs BPL merino hoody

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedDec 23, 2008 at 8:00 am

These two baselayers are very similar design, but different material/thickness. I was wondering what are the functional difference between the two?

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 4:44 pm

I would class the BPL hoody as suitable as a base layer or could be used as a mid layer over a T-shirt etc for cool evenings in Summer temps.

The R1 is a much thicker and warmer fleece type garment that I would personally only use as a mid layer and in much cooler conditions.

PostedDec 24, 2008 at 5:00 pm

I use the R-1 Hoody next to skin for snowshoeing in the Cascades(temps low 20's to low 30's), with a MH Transition Featherweight Vest. It's all I need except at rest stops or just starting out. It would definitely not work as a base layer for me much above those temps, maybe up to 40 or so. I carry a Patagonia Capilene 1 with me snowshoeing from March on and switch to it from the Hoody in temps around 40. It seems a bit too heavy/bulky as either a base layer or mid layer for 3 season hiking/backpacking. For me it is pretty much a specialized piece of gear. I have no experience with the BPL Merino Hoody, but it seems designed for a much wider range of temperatures and exertion levels.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...