Topic

opinions on my clothing and sleep system wanted!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists opinions on my clothing and sleep system wanted!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Main components (clothing):

* Patagonia R1 flash pullover 10oz
    * Patagonia Houdini 3.7oz
    * Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket 6.9oz
    -or- Alpine Light Down Jacket 11.3oz
    * Outdoor Research celestial (paclite) jacket 9.6oz
    * Golite Reed Pants 6oz
    * Baselayer top… ? (not decided yet)
    * Zip-off pants (not decided which yet)

Above are the main components of my proposed clothing system for 3 season use, where early morning and evening temperatures are above 32F (although it might occasionally get below freezing during the night).

On a short trip I would probably ditch the celestial jacket and houdini and replace them with driducks.

The main thing I want feedback on is whether the R1 pullover + down inner jacket combo is a good one. Total weight is around 18oz (I think the R1 is a bit heavier than listed), and I could instead just get a Montbell alpine light down jacket (11.3oz) and ditch the R1 pullover. It would no doubt be warmer for lounging around camp, but I would lose a fair bit of flexibility when hiking. From an UL perspective the R1 pullover seems pretty heavy. What do you think?

The other main question actually concerns my sleep system. I currently own a WM ultralite (rated to 20 degrees) but have been thinking that maybe I should trade it in and get a summerlite instead. I want to be comfortable in temps down to 20F, but it won't happen very often and mostly nighttime temps will be around 25-35 I should think. I could wear the down inner jacket and R1 pullover inside the summerlite to give it a boost. Do you think this would get me down to 20 degrees? I think I might need an extra layer for my legs…

Last question… I'm guessing that it might actually be a good idea to go with the MB inner parka rather than the jacket. I don't much like wearing hats or beanies even when it is cold, but I guess it would be useful if I decide to "downgrade" my bag to the summerlite and want a bit of extra warmth around my head during the night.

Any comments or suggestions welcome. I'll eventually get around to posting a complete gear list, but the clothing and sleeping bag system is the most difficult part for me to decide on at the moment. Thanks!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

bumping this as I'm curious what people think about your system too…I have been considering the same products/issues for a JMT hike next summer.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Ashley, Here is the setup I use in extremely similar conditions…expected low around freezing, minimum low of 20 degrees (which I have used this system at).

Worn:
    REI Lightweight MTS Long-Sleeve Zip-T – 6.60 oz
    Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants – 13.25 oz
    ExOfficio Boxer Briefs – 2.80 oz
    Smart Wool PHD Mini Crew – 2.20 oz
    Columbia Booney Hat – 2.75 oz

Extra (when using poncho tarp):
    Golite Wisp Windshirt – 2.85 oz
    Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket – 6.90 oz
    REI Oslo Gloves (90/10 Poly/Wool) – 1.40 oz
    Fleece Cap – 1.40 oz

Extra (when using regular tarp):
    drop winshirt
    add Golite Virga Jacket – 8.25
    add Golite Reed Pants – 5.40

For a bag I use either a Marmot Hydrogen (30 degree bag – 23 oz) or Golite Ultra 20 quilt (19 oz). Both bags have been used down to 20 degrees inside a bivy with the above clothing.

Based on my experiences you would be ok to drop the flash pullover and drop the windshirt. I really like a windshirt, but I don't take both a breathable rain jacket and wind shirt. Also you will need some type of lightweight gloves and hat. I have found these to be extremely important when starting to hike on cold mornings. If you don't like hats then yeah I'd get the parka. I've also found the lighter MB down jacket to be perfect at nights and in the mornings.

I think you would be fine to go with the lighter sleeping bag and extend the range for the occasional low using clothes (this is what I do).

My recommendations are based on me so be warned you might be really different. I am a person that tends to get cold fast when inside, but seem to handle outdoor colds just fine. Not sure if this is mental or not.

Hope this helps,
    Jamie

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I use the
    r1 hoody
    montbell exlight jacket
    houdini
    and then a arcteryx alpha lt jacket (for expected rainy cold trips)
    baselayer is a icebreaker tech t
    it works wonders for me but for the weight the r1 is heavier than others, I find that in winter though I am usually always wearing it. I can hike and backpack in temps from 30-40 when wearing the baselayer and r1 and houdini. When it gets a little warmer I will take off the houdini. The ex light when worn over the r1 and under the houdini keeps me nice and toasty around camp until I am ready to goto bed. Thats in temps around 30 without activity. Gloves are also a nice addition and for cold around camp I also use a smartwool beanie. In summer I dont bring the montbell because I find the r1 just a lot more confortable. I have a post on these forms about the system that got some feedback. It was called something like "layers that work for me from frigid to firey" if you look it up.

Simon Winchell

@simonwm

Depending on your hiking style, I would definitely agree that you can drop the R1 and windshirt. I'm more than comfortable in those temps and a little below with just running shorts, montbell thermawrap inner, ss dress shirt and paclite jacket. As it gets colder I hike in a wool 2 zip with the sleeves rolled up, and that adds a couple degrees. Don't worry about losing the flexibility of the R1, rain jackets are fine to hike in and great for warming up in the morning.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback (sorry for the slow response — I posted before xmas!).

Sounds like I need to get myself a montbell UL inner jacket and consider leaving the R1 behind. Pity it's not so UL because it's a nice piece. I bought it originally as a replacement for my old fleece jacket, before I realised that the UL down/thermawrap jackets would do the job.

Now that I consider it some more, I suspect the R1 might be better suited to conditions where you are hiking in the cold during the day (rather than just first thing in the morning). Hmmmmm….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools