Topic

How low can they “comfortably” go? Cocoon Pro 90 Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking How low can they “comfortably” go? Cocoon Pro 90 Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

For those who have used them, I'm curious about how low of temperature you've been comfortable in a pair of Cocoon PRO 60 pants (polarguard delta 68 g/yd^2)?

I'm mostly concerned with the use of these in low metabolic output states (i.e. sitting around camp).

I realize that it may vary on hydration status, food consumption, torso and other layers… etc…

Stephen Klassen

@steveyk

I have used them to -20C comfortably:

in camp, with hot food. Also with booties and big belay parka.

I get cold easily when stopped, and these pants work for me.

When it is colder (-10C and lower) I throw them on over my shell pants/bibs – appears warmer to me than alone or under the shells, and the snow brushes off easily at those temps.

I would only get something warmer if I expected to be in sustained (several evenings straight) -25C or lower. Or do like Mike Clelland does and just wear a 100weight fleece layer over my baselayer all the time, using the Cocoon pants for extended stops.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools