Topic

Patagonia wool 2 or 3 – winter baselayer choices

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedDec 22, 2008 at 2:45 pm

I'm curious to hear what the temperature ranges are for the Patagonia wool line. I've tried on the Patagonia wool 2 once in the summer and found it too warm if temps were above 65 degrees, but I'm thinking it would make a superb 3-season baselayer–say temps down to around freezing. What do you think? Winters in Texas don't normally get below 20 degrees, I'm wondering if the wool 2 would offer me more versatility or if I should go with the wool 3.

I also do some winter dayhiking in Colorado too, so maybe factor that in as well.

PostedDec 22, 2008 at 4:00 pm

David,
Have you considered Under Armour Base 2? Their tops are very warm for their weight and employ the same "grid and channel" weave that Patagonia uses in the R-1 Hoody. Very warm and transports moisture very well.

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2008 at 8:16 am

David, I've found Wool 2 to be great for temperatures well below freezing – and I'm cold prone. Most remarkable base layer I've ever owned. I use the turtleneck.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2008 at 9:20 am

I wear the wool 2 zip-t year 'round, including summers. Even into the mid-70s and so–unzip all the way, push the sleeves up past the elbows. Close it back up for rest breaks. I've also found the wool 2 to be a great layer for cross-country skiing in below freezing temps (under a wind shell). Your metabolism may vary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...