Topic

rain jacket durability

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Dennis Park BPL Member
PostedDec 22, 2008 at 6:33 am

Can anybody tell me if the Golite Ether or the Patagonia Houdini jackets are durable enough to go off trail and bushwack? I am hoping to fish also and have historically known to "go where no man has gone before" (probably not true but sounds good).

PostedDec 22, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Dennis, it depends entirely on your definition of bushwacking. I am sure my houdini will last me for years and years of normal use… it's not flimsy or delicate. However, it is far from "bomber". If I caught it on a thorn it would not surprise me if it tore a hole. I wouldn't be using as an outer-layer if I was pushing my way through brambles to get through to the edge of a river. I suspect there are very few UL garments that would resist tears from thorns though. Hope that helps.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 23, 2008 at 12:27 am

As above, both are somewhat rain resistant wind jackets — not rain jackets.

And it would be fanciful to expect UL tissue-thin fabrics to withstand bushwhacking. The fabrics are pretty abrasion resistant considering how light and thin they are — but there are no miracle fabrics. As always, pick the right tools for the task at hand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...