Topic

LARGE Bivy and Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LARGE Bivy and Sleeping Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Looking for advice on large bivys and sleeping bags. I dont “fit” in the generally narrow lightweight gear that I have seen so far; but didnt want to overlook anything prior to making my own gear. (Not that i wont make my own gear anyway; just want to explore my options first.)

When I mention that I dont “fit”; the issue I have is with the girth available in the bivys and bags I have seen to date. I have a very heavy bag now; size 40×90 that fits ok, but still a little too tight to actually be comfortable; and certainly not an option for packing due to the weight.

The tight fit is a result of my upper body size and shoulder width, in addition to the size of my arms and legs.

The quilts are an interesting concept; but still seem sized for the average width person. I havent seen a bivy that will even come close.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

If you are looking for a comforatable bag, I highly, highly, highly, recomend looking at montbell.com
    home of the super stretch bags. I have one and it is the most comfortable thing ever, I am able to roll around and strech out easially and even without the SS system, they are high quality, and ultra light. the only reason I would ever leave it home, is because it is slightly heavier then the quilts. good options too but cant quite compare with the MB bags.
    the super strech are rated accurately also.

if only mont bell made a top bag?

Thomas Travis

@tbtravis

Ron Bell at mountainlaurel designs will make a really nice bivy to your specs. I had him make one for me earlier this year.
    If you go this route I would suggest that you get your sleeping bag and pad first. That way you can measure the bag and pad with you inside to get an accurate idea of the “girthiness” you need. Be sure to add a few inches(or more)extra. I neglected this and as a result my bivy is just a little more snug than I would like. I guess I’ll just have to work a little harder to loose the “spare tire”.
    You may also want to allow for wearing a high loft garment in the bag to extend the range of your bag in cool weather.
    For a wider sleeping bag take a look at Western Mountaineering. I believe the Badger and Ponderosa models are pretty spacious. Golite has some bags available in three lengths and two or three widths. Sierra Designs has a couple of wide synthetic bags, one is the LX20. I think North Face has one called Goliath and another called Mammoth.
    I use an Arc X down quilt sold by Bozemzn Mtn. Works and made by Nunatak. Very light and as roomy as I need it to be, but just wide enough at 55″ to be comfortable in cold weather. Nunatak makes a 5* quilt that is 60″ wide with 3 1/2″ high baffles. Being a custom shop I’d be willing to bet they would make you a wide quilt with 2 1/2″ baffles for more of a 3 season use.
    I hope this helps,
    Tom

douglas ray

@dray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

Probably your best bet for the sleeping bag would be to have Feathered Friends make one to fit you. The rates are pretty reasonable.

featheredfriends.com

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

thanks for all the suggestions.

what additional charges are typical to have something custom made vs. the regular retail pricing on their websites?

I can then sort of pro-rate what the costs would be. I’m sure what I will need will require more materials and at least a little more labor.

Robert Miller

@procab

Michael,

I too am on the large size (6′-2″ 200 lbs). Here are the two bags and their dimensions that made my short list from when I was lightening up a couple of years ago. Note these are inside dimensions.

......................shoulder/hip/foot
    Marmot Hydrogen (long).....64"/60"/42"
    WM Megalite (long).........64"/55"/39"

In the mass market ultralight realm I believe these are the two largest bags out there. Both are rated at 30 degrees.

I bought the Hydrogen and have been happy with it. A friend who probably weighs 20-30 lbs more than I purchased one too and has no complaints.

FWIW
    Robert

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Thanks for the tip Robert. Unfortunately, I dont think these will cut it.

I’m 5’11” and 265 lbs. I’m not overweight; just “wide” is the best way to describe it. I dont workout but many people think that I’m a body builder. Nope, just the way I grew.

I think I may just have to go down the MYOG path.

Robert Miller

@procab

Michael,

One other option to consider may be the Dual Arc Alpinist. It’s not cheap, but should be large enough.

Robert

Thomas Travis

@tbtravis

I think I paid an extra $40 for an extra wide and long bivy from Ron Bell.
    If money allows, the dual arc alpinist from Nunatak sounds like it could be a winner.
    You could also consider getting a WM Megalite or some other high end bag with a full zip and just using it as a quilt.
    Tom

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>I think I may just have to go down the MYOG path.

If so, you should consider the Ray-Way quilt. I’m 6’2″ and 235 lbs, and I made mine about 4″ wider than what the instructions suggest. I’m a stomach sleeper and roll over a lot, and I haven’t had any problems with cold drafts. The price is reasonable: $55, or $65 for the Deluxe (I think the gorget and draft stopper are worth the extra cost and weight).

http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.shtml

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Well … I think I have resolved the bivy sack question.

I picked this –>

Bivy

up at cabelas, size large at 40″x90″, for $99. It weighs 15.8 oz. which isnt too bad considering the size. I’m anxious to try it out, but it is a bit chilly without a decent bag right now, so it’ll have to wait for a few months I guess.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools