Topic

SOLID FUEL TABLETS QUESTIONS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition SOLID FUEL TABLETS QUESTIONS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JOSH MARTIN

@99heyho

Hello,

Am new to camping and backpacking. Been tryin to find the answers for some questions. Any answer is much appreciated.

1. Is solid fuel poisonous? I been told not to touch it with bare hands.

2. Can i roast marshmallow or sausages over solid fuel fire? Will it make my food smell like solid fuel or make it poisonous?

Thanks so muchh

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

There are several types of solid fuel tablets but to answer the questions, they wouldn't be healthy to ingest, nor are their flames "clean" burning enough to recommend using as direct flame cooking. The most commonly used backpacking ones often smell like soured seafood and can occasionally leave that smell on the cookpots.

Handling wise, they are probably far less toxic than a small splash of gasoline on your hands from filling the mower. Technically not good for you, but it's a miniscule amount with limited exposure.

My take on it is wash your hands or try to pop them out of their package without handling them at all is best but I won't worry if I have to handle them a bit as in solid form they aren't absorbed into the skin as easily.

JOSH MARTIN

@99heyho

Alright thanks..

Mine is just some square shaped white solid fuel tablets. Very similar to Esbit soild tabs.

But what do you think of cooking directly over the flames? Or roasting marshmallows?

Thnks once again!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> But what do you think of cooking directly over the flames? Or roasting marshmallows?

Potentially poisonous. Don't do it.

cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Burning esbit tabs releases, among other things, formeldahyde and hydrogen cyanide. I wouldn't use it at all. Many people do (!?), but not for your marshmallows and sausages!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools