Topic

BPL Hoody merino vs synthetic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Hoody merino vs synthetic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

The new Hoody is one of my favorite shirts. However, I'm curious how many people would prefer it in synthetic rather than merino?

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

I'd be interested in a synthetic version. I'd be happy to put up with "synthetic chill" for the durability, quick drying, zero-itch, and lower price. (I've nearly solved the problem of synthetic stink with hydrogen peroxide.) Although I don't have BPL Merino Hoody, I have a collection of other modern Merino tops (Patagonia, Smartwool), and although they perform well, they all have the same skeletons in the closet: fragile, take forever to dry (from perspiration, not washing), are still itchy (albeit minor), and cost a lot. Drying time and itchy-ness are perhaps my biggest pet-peeves with Merino.

A version in midweight Capilene would be just great.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like, maybe, a R.5 Hoody?

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>>(I've nearly solved the problem of synthetic stink with hydrogen peroxide.)

Do tell Simon. I'd love to get the stink outta some of my shirts. How does your trick work?

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Dave: Check out This Thread.

I've been using the technique for months now, and there's no ill effects on the fabric. I have not tried it on underwear, but my merino works well for this and I don't feel the itch.

Tom: Patagonia R.5 Hoody… is this the one that was only made for one season and no loner exists? Bummer…

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

how many people would prefer it in synthetic rather than merino?

My preference is the merino. I like its feel and, for me, thermo-regulation is better with merino than synthetic material.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tom: Patagonia R.5 Hoody… is this the one that was only made for one season and no loner exists? Bummer…
    I dunno, Simon, but I have considered emailing them with a suggestion to make something like that. It'd be great for 3 season hiking.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

My preference would be a Capeline 2 weight hoody.

Christopher Kuzmich

@obchristo2

The R.5 Hoody was produced in a Womens version only for 1 year- 2 years ago.

I jealous of the ladies in my shop that have one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools