Topic

BPL Hoody merino vs synthetic

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Bill B BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2008 at 6:20 pm

The new Hoody is one of my favorite shirts. However, I'm curious how many people would prefer it in synthetic rather than merino?

Simon Wurster BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2008 at 6:59 pm

I'd be interested in a synthetic version. I'd be happy to put up with "synthetic chill" for the durability, quick drying, zero-itch, and lower price. (I've nearly solved the problem of synthetic stink with hydrogen peroxide.) Although I don't have BPL Merino Hoody, I have a collection of other modern Merino tops (Patagonia, Smartwool), and although they perform well, they all have the same skeletons in the closet: fragile, take forever to dry (from perspiration, not washing), are still itchy (albeit minor), and cost a lot. Drying time and itchy-ness are perhaps my biggest pet-peeves with Merino.

A version in midweight Capilene would be just great.

Dave . BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2008 at 8:23 pm

>>(I've nearly solved the problem of synthetic stink with hydrogen peroxide.)

Do tell Simon. I'd love to get the stink outta some of my shirts. How does your trick work?

Simon Wurster BPL Member
PostedDec 21, 2008 at 5:30 am

Dave: Check out This Thread.

I’ve been using the technique for months now, and there’s no ill effects on the fabric. I have not tried it on underwear, but my merino works well for this and I don’t feel the itch.

Tom: Patagonia R.5 Hoody… is this the one that was only made for one season and no loner exists? Bummer…

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 8:55 am

how many people would prefer it in synthetic rather than merino?

My preference is the merino. I like its feel and, for me, thermo-regulation is better with merino than synthetic material.

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Tom: Patagonia R.5 Hoody… is this the one that was only made for one season and no loner exists? Bummer…
I dunno, Simon, but I have considered emailing them with a suggestion to make something like that. It'd be great for 3 season hiking.

Bill B BPL Member
PostedDec 21, 2008 at 2:57 pm

My preference would be a Capeline 2 weight hoody.

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 4:33 pm

The R.5 Hoody was produced in a Womens version only for 1 year- 2 years ago.

I jealous of the ladies in my shop that have one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...