Topic

Thera-Band tensioners: how to make ’em?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thera-Band tensioners: how to make ’em?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tom Beno
    Spectator

@killerb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So I was reading through the post about the SubLite shelter being torture-tested in deep snow, and saw mention of thera-band tensioners. I see they can be purchased from JRB…but how to make them? Looks simple, and yet there is something going on there that I just can't visualize.

Anybody with the knowledge, willing to share so I can keep a taut pitch in the rain? What a clever little invention.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

There are about a million ways to make elastic tensioners. The simplest is a loop of small elastic cord like waist drawstring or 1/2" elastic. I use pieces 12 to 14 inches long, tie the ends together and larks-head the loop through the pull-out.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Tom…
    Here are the detailed instructions from Just Jeff's "To the Woods". The TheraBand is occasionally available in small sections online or you can use surgical tubing. Any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner2.html

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

You can use simple rubber bands. Get a big bag of fairly thick ones, use three of them per tie-out, and fold them. I wouldn't want to use them for a very long trip in subfreezing temps though. You can always use them as a firestarter or something, if they break.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Tom, et al,

The JRB STLs are on sale….Best deal is scroll down to the large TL & STL set at $19.95….That would be $ 6.65 a pair, and two bonus 9 ft+ regular or ridge lines…Hard to beat that cost even DIY… But they are easy to make…Follow JJ's instructions cited above.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/STLs.htm

Pan

Tom Beno
    Spectator

@killerb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Post a question, go out to lunch and find all has been revealed when I come back! Many thanks to all.

Now I just need to decide whether to build my own or take advantage of that JRB deal. No more saggy shelter for me.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Tom,
    Tensioners do more than keep the tent/tarp from sagging; they protect the tent and all its components from wind shock.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools