Topic

Thera-Band tensioners: how to make ’em?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedDec 20, 2008 at 10:35 am

So I was reading through the post about the SubLite shelter being torture-tested in deep snow, and saw mention of thera-band tensioners. I see they can be purchased from JRB…but how to make them? Looks simple, and yet there is something going on there that I just can't visualize.

Anybody with the knowledge, willing to share so I can keep a taut pitch in the rain? What a clever little invention.

PostedDec 20, 2008 at 10:46 am

There are about a million ways to make elastic tensioners. The simplest is a loop of small elastic cord like waist drawstring or 1/2" elastic. I use pieces 12 to 14 inches long, tie the ends together and larks-head the loop through the pull-out.

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2008 at 11:16 am

You can use simple rubber bands. Get a big bag of fairly thick ones, use three of them per tie-out, and fold them. I wouldn't want to use them for a very long trip in subfreezing temps though. You can always use them as a firestarter or something, if they break.

PostedDec 20, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Tom, et al,

The JRB STLs are on sale….Best deal is scroll down to the large TL & STL set at $19.95….That would be $ 6.65 a pair, and two bonus 9 ft+ regular or ridge lines…Hard to beat that cost even DIY… But they are easy to make…Follow JJ's instructions cited above.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/STLs.htm

Pan

PostedDec 20, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Post a question, go out to lunch and find all has been revealed when I come back! Many thanks to all.

Now I just need to decide whether to build my own or take advantage of that JRB deal. No more saggy shelter for me.

PostedDec 20, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Tom,
Tensioners do more than keep the tent/tarp from sagging; they protect the tent and all its components from wind shock.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...