Topic

Ti Spork / Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Ti Spork / Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've broken a fork tine fairly easily on a LMF spork, but the actual utensil does seem hard to break. This utensil is pretty easy to melt though. If you are frying in your pot you need to be really fast flipping stuff or it'll melt. Never try scraping off baked on food while you are frying.

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

I've broken several LMF forks. I find extreme cold makes them brittle. However I loved the design so I now own a titanium version. Love it.

Like this idea of making a knife out of the titanium handle of a spoon. Unfortuneatly won't work with a LMF ti spork, but with a standard spoon you could extremely easily make a very simple and minimal sheath for it. This could well replace most people's need for a knife alltogether. Plus I think the spoon end would naturally make a decent handle in the palm of your hand.

At the very least one could use this idea to improvise a knife from a titanium spoon should they loose theirs on a trip. Though I'm not sure how long it would take to sharpen titanium on found stones. :)

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

i agree with this, those plastic ones are generally crap in my opinion. one thing i do like is the actual shape of the spoon end, its great at home for eating yoghurt. i also tend to eat using my right hand and the knife edge seems to annoy the area between finger and thumb (there is probably a name for this part of the hand). i did cut the fork end off one just to use the spoon which was nice, but also a waste of time because my darling wife put it in the dish washer, then it was screwed. do LMF make a left handed spork? if they did i still wouldnt get one, not even in Ti. none of the freeze dry i ever use on the trail needs cut with a knife, and if it did, i would be wanting to hold the thing down with the fork, but wait, thats the same end that has the knife. 'hold it with your fingers' i hear. if im getting my fingers all messy on some tasty little backcountry treat, then why use the LMF spork? bin the spork, go freeze dry, get a spoon – GO THE SPOON – p.s thanks for the tip though Ron, big ups

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

Locale: Montana

Just out of curiosity what happened in the dishwasher? Melted? I could have sworn I've dishwashered one of these before.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

The plastic spork with a spoon on one end and a fork/knife on the other seemed like a good idea to me, but after using it, I rarely to never used the fork, and when I wanted to, I thought twice about putting that in my mouth after I'd been holding it with my grubby hands, since each side of that spork is the other side's handle!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, plastic tools might break. Separate Lexan spoons and forks have worked for me for years. I keep one of the plastic LMF sporks in my lunchbox and we use them for picnicking. I have one of the Ti LMF sporks that works great for hiking.

I wouldn't sharpen the edge on a fork past the butter knife stage. I'm not sticking something truly sharp in my mouth. Sharpening a handle would be good, IF you could get some kind of hot-dip vinyl or molded silicone cover; otherwise, is just too much fiddle-factor.

Ultimately, I would just have my spork and a Swiss Army knife. If you want a light and cheap camp kitchen knife, a Victorinox paring knife is 0.75oz and $4.50.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Had a big fail with my first outdoor use of the LMF Spork last weekend as I was eating some cooked ramen in 60 degree weather – snapped right in half. Luckily, my buddy had a spare one that he wasn't using. I guess I will be moving on to more durable solutions.

Also, it really isn't long enough for freezer bag cooking (something else I was testing out).

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

If my hiking buddy had a spare spork, i'd find a new hiking buddy. ;p

Jack

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Yeah, I wasn't out with any UL'ers. The one guy had about 50 lbs on his back. HYOH. I have been paring down my kit and was just out to relax, test some new setups and hike a little. Needless to say that some stuff didn't work out as well as I had hoped. WIP :)

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

That must have been some heavy ramen to snap a spork in half!

patrick johnson

@pjohnson78

This is a great idea!!! I'm going to the store right now to purchase some plasti dip. cover that edge for probably 1 or 2 grams. THANKS RON.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools