Are there many ski goggles that can be worn with/over eyeglasses? Not sure about this one…
For that matter, does anyone make glacier glasses that you can put prescription lenses in?
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
Are there many ski goggles that can be worn with/over eyeglasses? Not sure about this one…
For that matter, does anyone make glacier glasses that you can put prescription lenses in?
Lots of goggles you can wear over glasses. I used to have some Bolle goggles with a prescription insert that was pretty cheap. I think the insert and prescription lenses were less than $40. But that may have been cheaper since I got them on a Pro form. And Bolle used to do prescription lenses for most of their sunglasses too. I had great luck with some prescription sunglasses from a company out of Texas called Hidalgo one time also. But then I went to work for a company that payed for Lasix………
Dave, I really like these Scott Storms …
http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/959/3969/storm_otg
You can find them occasionally on ebay.
Black Diamond makes prescription Goggles: http://www.bdel.com/gear/goggles.php
(they aren't cheap)
Hey, Dave-
Julbo makes several models of glacier glasses that you could put a prescription in. I did that with a pair years ago and loved them, favorite shades of all time. A couple things you'd want on the Rx'd lenses. Double-gradient mirror, backside non-glare, brown (better contrast), polarized is good, some drawbacks at times. If you can get a hydrophobic topcoat over everything else that'd be really nice later, and help prevent some scratching on the non-glare. The trick might be finding someone to make the lenses for you. I've definitely thought it was worth it.
Most of the goggle manufacturers do make models to go over glasses. I think mine are Scott. You can get some goggles with an Rx insert, a plastic regular-size glasses frame that snaps into the goggles. Cheers-
Brad
Found it, they've moved http://hidalgos.com/ . But they do custom coatings and mirrors. Or they used to.
You should watch Tramdock also. They're like Steep and Cheap (same parent?) but with ski gear, and it seems like they do goggles constantly.
Dave,
Also pay attention to the Base Curve in your everyday glasses (typically Base 6) versus mountain glasses.
If the frames you choose are really wrapped and require a Base 8 lens you may experience some problems adapting. If I wear wrapped Rx cycling glasses instead of flatter ones for hiking I notice that things seem weird and a little out of place.
Hard to tell up front, but worth noting before dropping a couple a hundred bucks.
As noted above, there are many goggles that will fit over glasses. Then the issue becomes fogging the glasses. Silicone treatments like 'Cat Crap' will help. So if you can spring it, go for Rx goggles.
I use Bolle' OTG (?over the glasses) with a clear lenses.
I found that glasses under goggles fogged up. So I switched to contact lenses and generous wide dark glasses.
Works great.
I do it, but have to carry spares for skiing the resort in stormy weather. It is not a great system, but all I have.
My non-OTG Anon Halcyon goggles fit over my (very small) glasses. But it is a tight fit. One thing good is it pushes my glasses closer to my face so they stay a bit warmer, fog less. Seems like it would be rare for people without a smaller face, or at least smaller glasses, to be able to get this to work. They still sometimes fog if I overheat, until skiing down or the wind helps me out.
Part of the decline in OTG models is now people are wearing helmets, most of which don't fit as well with oversized goggles. If you get some nice OTG goggles, they have better peripheral vision and the higher volume makes them slightly less fog-prone. Take care of them because they scratch easy and don't touch the inside surface. Goggles are one of those semi-disposable essentials, so if you pay a bit more than the minimum, it should be because of the enjoyment gained from decent optics, not for supposed durability.
Just don't pay alot.
It's probably better to have contacts. The ladies love it! Or the glacier goggles. Some redundancy may be safer. Goggles are hotter, maybe too hot on a glacier, but nice when you are cold and cringing. I have done googles over light-adaptive prescription sunglasses on long blindingly sunny days and been happy. Layering for your eyes.
I've been slow getting back to this thread, but just wanted to take a second to thank those of you who replied.
As always, very helpful.
Dave
So, I ordered a pair of those Scott OTG goggles mentioned above and they fit over my glasses really well. However, they didn't come with the sort of protective case that some companies include with their goggles. Is it safe to just carry they in the little cloth sack they came with, or should I get a case to protect them while they're in my pack.
I've never used goggles before and I'm just not sure how delicate the lens/face is.
The goggles are not delicate and I keep my Bolle in the silk sack it came with. Just don't pack it at the bottom of your pack. My $.02.
Become a member to post in the forums.