Topic

SubLite SilNylon in the Snow

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 9:47 am

I decided to set up my SubLite in a completely exposed spot in advance of a forecasted 8" to 14" inches of snow today. I intentionally set it up without TheraBand tensioners since they're not something everyone has. I did use the supplied line from the apex and then added a line via my familiar short pole for the rear. So it sat there in about an inch of existing snow for about 10 minutes before the new snow began, and yes it's really coming down now. I'm not going to brush off any snow or even look at the Sublite until the snow ends. I'll take some photos then and I fully expect that it will be a favorable result. I'm posting now so that you can wait out the result with me.

Sublite Before the Snow #1

Before the Snow #2

Upate after 2 hours: Around 2.5" of snow and it's beginning to increase in intensity. Snow is really piling up along the sides as it slides down. Snow along the ridgeline seems to break up and slide off about an inch at a time. A small amount of the last breakoff is still visible. So far, so good, but the only ventilation right now is in the foot area and the apex vent.

Two Hours and 2 inches

Two hours and two inches - rear

After 3.5 hours and 4+" of snow: OK, I decided not to stake the SubLite out at the side mid-points thinking that it wouldn't really matter, well it's beginning to matter. The snow piling up on the center of the sides is really pressing the sides in and pulling the center base along with it. This probably could have been made a much better situation with the mid-points pegged out. Even with no outside intervention the SubLite is still useable.

4" of Snow Front View of SubLite

4" of Snow View from rear of SubLite

Update at 7" of snow: put my boots on this time and headed out again. I expected the SubLite to be in exactly the stage it was in. The center sides had continued to be squeezed inward and now, without any intervention the sides would be pressing in against anyone inside. Of course this would not happen under normal situations where the snow could be knocked off or pushed away, but that wasn't the idea of this "test". Anyway, this would be as far as it would go… I of course, left it there just to see what it would look like in the morning. I have to go out early tomorrow, but hopefully I'll get a photo or two. (Note: That's my yardstick in the photo)

7" Front with ruler

7" rear

Update for following morning: It was still snowing very lightly and the snow depth was close to 13". Last night I debated on whether or not to give it a bit of help and clear off the snow a bit. I didn't, and this morning was a bit dismayed to see that the poles were still holding in the inserts, but the tabs which were triple line stitched to the top of the SubLite had ripped away from the silnylon. It's something I should be able to repair, and possibly even make stronger, but none the less it was upsetting that I'd let myself risk actual damage when I left it as it was last night. Note: The snow depth right around the tent appears even higher since so much came off of the tent. As a reference, the top of the rear pole is 19" off the ground.

Sublite in Morning - Front

Sublite in Morning - Rear

In conclusion: The Sublite stood up to more than I thought it would. If I had pegged out the sides it would have fared even better. I don't think I'll have a problem using this one if anything less than a blizzard is forecast, even though it did have a disaster after being left unattended in so many, many hours of snow.



For those of you who asked: The poles were still in the slotted holders. The broken threads can be seen from the tabs. The damage to the tent material was minimal, but does need repair. The photo of the SubLite damage didn't show much, so I haven't added it.

See photo sequence in a slideshow:
http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/Quoddy1/SubLite%20in%20the%20Snow/?albumview=slideshow

It's still snowing, never stopped, but it is much lighter. The big snow is coming again tomorrow.

Pole Holder Ripped off Broken Threads Visible

Roger B BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 9:51 am

John that is dedication, I assume you are standing outside and letting the snow fall around you, taking photos every 5 minutes

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 10:21 am

Those lines running from the apex and from the middle rear must be peculiar to the sil-Sub only?? Great looking tent John!

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 10:46 am

John… The apex line was on the SubLite when I received it. I just put the rear line on and used the pole that I had for the center rear of the Contrail. It really keeps the ridgeline drum tight. BTW… here's a zip pull photo I took while I was pitching it today. The pole base holder feature can also be seen.

Zip Pulls on Sublite

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Cool, glad to see the snow photos. Because I get the question–Contrail vs Sublite (Sil)–I will say that you can at least see the potential difference in performance for early/late season snow. The Contrail will not fair as well since the slopes are shallower and the unsupported spans are quite a bit longer. Same goes for windy locations, especially above treeline: the Sublite (Sil) will fair better. I do think the Contrail is probably a better choice for more moderate use since it potentially vents better in calm, wet weather and because it has separate gear space under the beak.

-H

Dave Heiss BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 12:05 pm

John,

I understand you're not using the Theraband tensioners, but you've mentioned them before and I'm curious what they are and where you got them. I think my Contrail setup would benefit from something like that. Thanks.

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Hi Dave… They are easily made or a very similar version can be purchased from Jack's R Better. A 12" piece of TheraBand tubing (I prefer the tension of the Green tubing). A 17" 2mm Spectra cord is used which gives a total of 5 to 5.5" of stretch when the Specta line is maxed out. The TheraBand is turned back 1" on each end in the process, so mine end up 10" plus end loops long, but could certainly be made shorter. I usually use a mini caribiner to conect them to my tarp or tent tensioning line. There are a few other things/tricks that are required in making one.

I would normally use just one for the Contrail, and now for the SubLite, from the rear end to keep the ridgeline tension.
On my hammock tarp I used one on each corner, worked great.

Just took this photo to give you an idea what they are:

Theraband Tensioner

Time to check the SubLite again…..

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Quoddy
Your shots confirm my impression of what the Sublite Sil can do with a little help at the rear. I do think that having the mid point tied down as well will help a lot in keeping its shape for longer. I particularly like how you still have air coming in at the rear minimising condensation built up.
Nice work !
This should help also differentiating between the two Sublite and as HS has pointed out the Contrail .
My understanding now is that one should have three shelters :
The Sublite Tyvek for hot and or humid areas but without excessive precipitation.
The Sublite Sil for full enclosed minimalistic protection with possible 4 season use.
The Contrail for when you like the extra space and don't expect more than an inch or so of snow.
Franco

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 1:40 pm

I wonder if the Dipsy Diver Trout snubbers are lighter….looks like a great idea though.

Only 3 shelters? Heretic………..

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Joe
Only 3 shelters ?
That was meant to be understood as the minimum not the maximum number. I don't really believe that one should be constrained by any arbitrary number although I myself have recently reduced my selection to less than ten. (temporarily…)
Franco

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I'm currently down to 9 tents/shelters. My shelter shelf looks practically empty. Maybe I could get a TT Scarp. Henry, any thought of a Sublite 2 in the future. A transverse strut at the top would probably allow the expansion. Also on my wish list: A screen door for the Sublite. For those hot-afternoon-pitched-in-the-sun naps.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 3:49 pm

A screen door on the Sublite would probably have me ordering. I think Tyvek would be perfect for where I live. Shade is usually a lot more needed than rain protection.

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 4:08 pm

John,
I hope you've got a rope tied to the tent…

Sooner than later you'll want to save it from the next 12".

Thanks for the the images.

Scott Smith BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Add a 10 sg ft Vestibule for cooking in the rain .. and storage .. the screen mesh to the door ..as previously mentioned ..and . you have the PERFECT tent ! ( no, I'm not talking about a Contrail :) )

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 7:25 pm

John,

I last looked at this thread this morning and am amazed at the photos posted since. Wow! Unbelievable! Good reporting with the incremental images of the snow build-up. The SilSub looks great in gray with the black trim. and thanks for illustration of the surgeon's knot.

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Scott…
You do know that the SubLite has a small entrance awning (no, not really a vestibule) and a mesh inner door, right? I orginally set up the awning and was planning on leaving it that way, but realized that it would not hold the expected snow.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Very impressive.
You know, given that the two trekking poles are (almost) infinitely stronger than any of those long over-the-top single curved poles, this has potential. Me, I would add a few mid-side guy rope attachment points – half way up the sides that is, and use them in the snow.
Then it would be half-way to an Antarctic tent!

Cheers
PS: we need the next-morning photos too!

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Joe,
I'm thinking about an aftermarket bug screen for the sublite. Maybe using a very very narrow strip of velcro to attach the noseeum mesh to the door opening. I'll have to set up the tent and see what's possible.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2008 at 8:15 am

John, I just wanted to say thanks for your testing dedication! Informative fun! It was really nice to follow the progression along with you and fellow BPLers.

Scott Smith BPL Member
PostedDec 20, 2008 at 8:22 am

Greetings John..

Thanks for the thought .. However, my reference was to the " Sublite" not the "Sublite Sil"

Still snowing ??

PostedDec 20, 2008 at 8:36 am

John,

I have never had any intentional plans to use my Tyvek Sub in the snow conditions you have chronicled. However even before this morning's photos were posted, I had thought about wind gusts which have now grown from a mere thought into a mild concern. When you have an opportunity this morning, can you post a photo of the damaged apex connector that tore away. I would anticipate that the sleeve tore off of the pole?? Henry might possibly conference with us regarding a redesign of the pole sleeves supporting the tent.

These concerns grow out of a storm experienced in an August outing that buffeted me pretty good but I had thrown up the tent very fast to get out of the rain. Now with the photo of this mornings developments, I want to beef this part up a tad.

Again, GREAT JOB!! You should get the BPL gear test award for 2008 beating out Franco's Contrail wind test recently posted.

PostedDec 20, 2008 at 9:27 am

We're going to get about a foot of snow here in the Twin Cities today – if I had a backyard, I'd go setup a few of my tents for a test. But alas – I live in an apartment and don't trust my toys being outside for that long unsupervised.

Great testing – goes to show how much the tent can take. I would like to see this done with other shelters. Anyone have a Scarp 1 yet?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
Loading...