Topic

Single Wall / Double Wall and the Rainbow

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Folks here have discussed in depth about the advantages of double-wall tent construction on another thread.

With that in mind, how many of ye Rainbow (or Double Rainbow) tarptent owners have also purchased a liner? How effectively does the liner mimic a double-wall tent functionally? Totally? Not at all? Somewhere in between? Please feel free to elaborate.

PostedDec 18, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Not her, but this is an excellent topic for discussion. I don't recall ever seeing analysis of the liner. It weighs 4 oz and costs $30, plus shipping.

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2008 at 7:34 pm

I didn't even realize that you can put a liner in a Rainbow. I always thought that option was only available for a Double Rainbow.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2008 at 7:48 pm

I haven't checked specifically if a solo size liner is available for sale — but the hooks are in place in all the recent Rainbow solo tarptents.

PostedDec 18, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I don't think you can get the liner for the Rainbow. I can't find it on the product sheet or in the ordering link.

PostedDec 18, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I have the liner for the double rainbow and only used it once, mostly just because I had it and wanted to try it out. Most of my camping is in the Sierras where dripping condensation doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I haven't encountered enough condensation to deploy it again.

Another area one might think it would help is adding some warmth. I don't think it adds any warmth as there is to much ventilation with the tent for the liner to make a difference.

With all that being said, I love my double rainbow for when I go backpacking with my better half. I have been out several time in wet rainy weather with good results.

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I just received a new Rainbow this week and can confirm it has hooks for a liner. Both the Rainbow and Double Rainbow have the same length cross strut, and are the same length, so it's possible one liner sold is usable for both tents. A quick call out to Henry would clear this up.

The problem I see with comparing it to the double wall options is that any drips that fall on the liner will fall onto the inside of the mesh wall, not the outside. Thus it won't be quite as protective. It will, however, protect the area directly over your sleeping bag. I suppose one could permanently sew the liner onto the mesh, but I'm not sure that would make much difference. The Rainbow does have a flat roof, though, so I suppose it is more likely to drip condensation vs. pyramid-shaped tents.

When you consider that the Vapr NANO bivy sack sold on this sight only weight 4.6oz, and would provide better drip and wind protection, it's hard to justify the weight of the liner for solo use. Of course, there's a big price difference between the Vapr NANO and the liner, but it would be quite easy to sew an all-Pertex Quantum overbag for quite cheap.

Fred eric BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I bought the liner with my DR, because i didnt want to have to buy it later :)
I am very satisfied with my DR.
But after trying the liner once i never used it again, i dont think it improves much the DR.
So not worth the weight unless you use it as a scarf too imo :)

PostedDec 19, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I have the Rainbow and have used it in Florida (it can't get more humid) without the liner and I haven't had any condensation problems to worry about. Anything will get condensation on it in August here, including yourself, but we don't get more than 10' from a air-conditioning vent at that time of year :-)

I do appreciate the hooks that are for the liner. I can string a clothes line on them or hang my headlamp for a perfect overhead light fixture.

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Ditto what others have said. I have the DR, and with two people in the tent the liner can drip at the edges and still end up on your bag (becasue the moisture is not shunted to the outside). I think it might work OK for a solo person who sleeps in the middle of the tent, and it does add some warmth in the cold, and heat protection when it's hot, but not something we use much.

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I didn't know that there was even a liner available. It looks AWESOME though. I've spent many, many uncomfortable nights in my rainbow (and various other single wall shelters) due to misting and dripping. For four ounces, that liner looks awesome. I think that it'd be quite effective. Sure, misting is only a problem with the Rainbow on about 2% of nights I'm out, but when it is, it sucks!

I'm shuddering at the thoughts of how soaked I got in a BD lighthouse this summer. A liner would have saved my butt.

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Jack,

I don't have one but I think the BD Lighthouse is made of Epic fabric which isn't intended to be waterproof, only water resistant.

(Don't ask me why someone would make a tent out of this stuff).

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 6:17 pm

BD's superlight tents area made out of Epic – the idea is that they are meant for dry environments i.e. no rain. Snow is acceptable because it sheds off and falls off. It is the same concept as softshell clothing. I have been eying a Firstlight since the tents came out.

PostedDec 21, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Yep, I'm aware that it was made with EPIC. And I can speak from personal experience that it's awful in a heavy rain. I've had similar problems with multiple silnylon tents though. But I think that silnylon has improved over the years and that by and large manufacturers are using more waterproof stuff.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 21, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Based on my own experience — and reading the feedback of others — Epic performance seems to vary widely. My own experience is that Epic fabric wetted through after about 9 hours of rain. Other people have reported wet-through from just a few hours of rain all the way to "never".

PostedDec 22, 2008 at 6:52 am

My experience was that it wetted through after 2-3 hours of absolute downpour.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Loading...