Topic

Recommendations on a Wood/Alcohol Stove

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Nick! BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2008 at 11:49 am

Hey Guys,

I am in search of my first lightweight stove and thought I would ask around for recommendations.

Requirements:
– 4 season use (mostly fall/winter weather)
– Able to burn wood and alcohol
– Support cooking needs of 2 people
– Compact storage

I would like to try building my own stove first. If that fails, well, then I try again. I guess I would eventually consider buying one. I would prefer a stove that can burn wood and alcohol (not at the same time) in case I run out of one or the other.

Under Consideration:
– Super Cat & Fire Bucket Stove
– The Garlington
– The Penny Wood

Thanks,

Nick

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2008 at 5:30 am

Nick,
It would seem from your requirements that the Ti-Tri could be something to look at. It doesn't do the wood gas thing, but I think people have been happy with its performance.

PostedDec 18, 2008 at 5:55 am

I have built my own woodstove out of cans that works like the bushbuddy. If I was going to build something that could use alcohol too I would look at the tri Ti like Steve suggests. The idea of: the pot in the stove for alcohol and above the stove for wood must be an interesting way to go. If I wanted to add preheated secondary air to do "the woodgas thing" it could be added in an outer Aluminium jacket. You could take the tri Ti concept and make it from cans. There is nothing that magic about cones, Although Ti is good stuff.
It is very easy to have a woodstove with a little platform to burn Hexmine when you don't want to burn wood

Dan Yeruski BPL Member
PostedDec 18, 2008 at 6:51 am

Under Consideration:
– Super Cat & Fire Bucket Stove

– The Garlington

– The Penny Wood

My pick would be the Garlington

Make it the size you think would suite your needs for 2.

Enjoy the project which ever you choose.

My first choice is to use wood for cooking =)

PostedDec 18, 2008 at 9:47 pm

I think that if I were to go with a wood AND alcohol stove I'd pick the Ti-Tri Caldera too. One system to do it all. It depends on what you're cooking or how much H2O you need to boil. It looks like their biggest combo comes with a pot that holds 3.8 cups (900 ml), don't know if that will suit you and another hiker or not.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiTri.html

Edit: I was just on the Trail Designs site. It looks like they can build you a Ti-Tri for any of the pots they have listed, some with a 1400 ml capacity.

http://www.traildesigns.com/products02.html#titri

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...