Topic

Nunatak Bags

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedDec 17, 2008 at 12:28 am

I currently have a WM Megalite, it's a 30 degree bag at 1 lb 8 oz, and I love it. However at sub-freezing temps it obviously doesn't do so well. So in the interest of doing some winter camping I started looking around and remembered Nunatak.

http://nunatakusa.com/

I had heard of Nunatak before but I don't know anyone who has one their bags and I was curious if any of you have any first hand experience w/ them. Namely are they as warm as they claim or do I need to err on the side of caution w/ their bags. Also how durable do they seem to be? Anything else you can add would be great as well.

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2008 at 6:39 am

Hi Brian,
You'll find many forum members use Nunatak products, including myself. You should take a look at the reader reviews as most of the different configurations are reviewed there and you should be able to get an idea of which one you are looking at. Then users of that particular bag can let you know what temp they have taken it to and the factors that allowed them to go to that temp.
I use an 'Arc AT' and the 'Skaha Plus' combo, which is a unique system (3/4 quilt w/ jacket) that can take me to it's temp rating of 40*F (5*C) using a base layer. IMO, they are as durable as any other UL bag out there – quality is impeccable.
Hope that helps.

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2008 at 11:14 am

Brian, The thing to keep in mind about Nunatak is that the company is a custom shop. Tom (Halpin, the owner) regularly builds to suit – extra length or girth, down overfill, a differently configured zipper, etc. Given that Nunatak charges custom prices for all its products I encourage you to think about what you really want and talk things over with Tom before making the investment. That said, I love the company's products, particularly my Shaha Plus sweater, and I think they are generally as durable as other UL gear.

PostedDec 17, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Steve, are you really getting to 5*F with the Skaha/AT combo? That's incredible! I'm guessing in a bivy, and with some serious overfill; still, that's is super-minimalist for those kinda temps!

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Oh my god…Scott, I'm so sorry my friend!!!…I meant 5*C (40*F). I'll edit the above post. Again, my apologies. :o

PostedDec 17, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Brian,
I second the opinions above – Tom does very good work and the really good part is the customization – so indeed you should think and consult before you go into a project.
Example – personally i love mummy bags (I have an innate fear of quilts…but that is for another post) and had the very good WM Versalite 15F bag.
Long story short i left that bag for a friend i hiked with in china and ordered one from Tom.
Its a custom 10F Alpinist that has full length chest zip plus an opening at the foot with a cinch cord like the Raku. This way i can go out of the tent with the bag on my for short pi$$ outings at night.
You could get 3/4 or full quilts with or w/o hood, different fabrics etc etc

Two things i think you should be aware of:
1 – price….i assume you have seen that
2 – it seems that tom is aiming at simplicity and lightness so the standard bags have no "features" (IIRC) like pockets, loops for tying off, sharktoe footbox or whatever. YOU need to specify the added stuff you want.

Mike

PostedDec 17, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the insight guys. I was really just curious about whether or not you considered the concept of the bag a good idea, a.k.a. is the weight savings worth any possible disadvantages. I didn't see any when thinking it through but then I don't have any first hand or ever second hand experience with them. Again thanks for the help and good hiking.

PostedDec 17, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Brian, I think you need to be more thoughtful with Tom's gear and the conditions you will be encountering, over standard type bags, especially if your other gear is UL. For example, under a tarp in real wet & cold conditions I use a Bibler Winter Bivy. It does good job sealing out drafts which allows me to have bag looser, and keeping erratic spray off bag. I normally don't have trouble with spray but again Bivy is extra protection. Straps instead of zips take a little getting use to but I really like flexibility they offer over wide range of temps.

On recent night out on my deck, I had expedition weight base layer with Arc-Alpinist and Bibler Bivy (no tarp or tent), I awoke around 3 am, temps in low 20's, and I took baselayer pants off because I felt I was getting clammy (too hot). I was comfortable rest of night. I did have Nunutak Bacalava as well.

I do believe weight savings is worth the extra thought needed before heading into backcountry. Cost is high but very worth getting exactly what you want.

Chuck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...