Topic

Caldera Cone or Ti-Tri?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 4:51 pm

I'm going to take the plunge on one of these, but wanted to see what kind of thoughts you all had on them. From what I gather, it sounds like the Ti-Tri cone itself might weigh about an ounce more? How many of you have used it as a wood stove? And how would you compare the burn/boil times with a Bushbuddy? Thanks!

Brad

Edit: I'm primarily thinking of this as an alcohol stove, but am curious about its performance with wood and whether it's worth it to get the Ti.

Tim F BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2008 at 10:47 am

Brad-

I have a AL cone for the SP600 and an original Ti-Tri (w/ Brasslite 900). The Ti cone is about a half-ounce more (32g vs. 48g), but is also for a larger pot.
The Ti cone has much more memory of the cone shape; that is, you pull it out of its storage container, let go, and it unrolls almost completely. It is also more susceptible to damge. I have gotten a small bend it the metal that won't come out from packing it poorly. The Al one is much softer and will bend very easily, but is easily bent back.
I have only used it for wood once, a test at home, but like having the option. I was not terribly impressed with it. I usually use Esbit with the SP600, and alcohol with the Ti-Tri. If I got into an emergency and needed to burn wood, I think I could do it without the cone. Hard to say wether I would spend the money on the Ti cone again. Last year's WTS3 guys were pretty impressed with the wood-burning IIRC. I have only used my MYOG double-wall woodburner with the Brasslite 900 (my stove sucks!), so I can't comment on the comparison to the Bushbuddy. Hope my ramblings help!

-Tim

Logan K BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 5:09 am

I am a definite ti cone lover. On a 10 day trip through the 100 mile wilderness last summer that I led, I used only 3 oz. of alcohol to cook for 3 because I could make a twiggy fire to get hot water going. So I ended up carrying too much alcohol, but what a awesome alternative! I know the Wilderness Trekking crew has been using a ti cone that fits 2 liter pots on their trips with great success and enjoyment. I believe I have enough ti foil left to make the same.

I still bring the wee stove with me and a bit of alcohol, but I am a definite wood fire convert.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 8:35 am

Thanks for the feedback so far! I noticed the BPL staff picks include a Ti-Tri and 3 Caldera-based systems. Community members seem to love them, though more specifically the Caldera. Does anyone else have experience with the durability/ease of use between the two? I'm specifically thinking about the BPL Ti windscreen I have that–sorry, guys–is way too flimsy for me to deal with. I know the Ti-Tri supports full pots and will thus be inherently stronger. But I'd greatly appreciate any more input along this line. Chris Townsend? Others? Cheers-

Chris Townsend BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 8:56 am

Hi Brad, I find the Caldera Ti-Tri just as easy to use as the standard Caldera and easier to roll up. I think it will prove just as durable. Both are very good – I prefer the Ti-Tri because I can use it as a wood stove as well as with alcohol.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 19, 2008 at 11:22 am

Hi Chris–Thanks, now I know at least one thing I'm getting for Christmas. I just hope I can convince someone else to buy it! Cheers-
Brad

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...