Topic

RBH Vapor Therm Shirt and Pants

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 10:00 am

Hey BPL'ers,

I have been using a pair of RBH Vapor Therm Shirt and Pants for a year now for winter/spring backcountry skiing and I was looking for some advice on how to properly wear them.

I am currently wearing a layer of thin wool long underwear underneath the vapor therm shirt and pants and this works great during the day. I am venting as soon as I start to sweat but what I am finding is that at the end of the day (once the sun has started to go down/movement has slowed) is rapid evaporative cooling- the very thing these garments are supposed to prevent! When I remove the vapor therm clothing I find that my base layers end up quite wet (probably the root cause of the problem).

Do you guys have suggestions on how to reduce the wetness of the base layer? Based on this thread (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=5557) I am considering either synthetic long underwear that absorbs less moisture than wool or a set of polypro fishnet long underwear (such as the set made by Bryjne). Does anyone have any experience with either of these options as a base layer underneath the vapor therm?

The other question I had concerned long-term use of the garments. I will be taking a 24 ski mountaineering trip this summer (the reason I am trying to fine tune the vapor barrier system) and I was looking to use the vapor therm as a long-term base layer- it would not come off for 24 days. Given the nature of a vapor barrier, is this a hygiene concern? I am worried about fungal infections from having a damp/wet environment next to be skin for such an extended period of time. I know with vapor barrier socks the suggestion is to change them at the end of every day and make sure that your feet have the opportunity to dry out- how would one do this with vapor barrier clothing?

Michael Martin BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 10:32 am

Hi Chris-

I've also used an RBH Vaportherm shirt extensively over the last year. I suspect that your wool base layer is too absorbent. I've had good luck with a lightweight synthetic top (Golite C-thru) and Bryjne fishnet. I've used the RBH shirt w/o any baselayer as well, but found that it's a bit cool without one — a baselayer seems to slow the speed of drafts against the skin. It also protects from sunburn when the RBH shirt is opened or removed for ventilation.

One skill that is critical to using a VB shirt is to constantly adjust your exertion level and ventilation so that you don't sweat. Toasty warm is too warm! You should always be on the cool side of comfortable. The absorbency of a wool base layer masks your ability to detect excess perspiration and so makes it harder to make the micro-adjustments on the VB shirt.

Another thing I found useful is a Zip-T baselayer. The collar helped seal the neck opening of the RBH shirt better than a crew neck base layer.

You mentioned drying your feet out with VB socks. I think that a VB shirt is fundamentally different as it's impossible to ventilate your socks during the day, producing a very moist environment for your feet. But, a VB shirt should be constantly ventilated an appropriate amount. So you may get prune foot, but you should never have "prune chest". ;)

As far as long term use goes, I've used the RBH shirt w/ Golite base layer for over 200 contiguous hours of sub-freezing temperatures with no more funk than a regular layering system. ;)

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for the help Mike. I am going to try the NTS with either a silkweight base layer or a bryjne fishnet this winter and see how it works. I will let you guys know!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...