Topic

Snowshoe traction by brand

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Dave . BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 7:17 am

Hi all. Looking for a bit of feedback from the snowshoers out there.

I'm looking to buy a new pair of snowshoes for some winter peakbagging in the Adirondacks and Whites. I have previously used MSR Denali Evo Ascents and really think that their aggressive crampons provide good traction for the steeper portions of the hikes, especially potentially dicey downhill sections. However, they're too small to provide me much in the way of floatation.

This being the case, I've been looking at some 30 inchers from Northern Lites (the Backcountry) and Atlas (the 1230s).

Here's my prroblem though: The Northern Lites are very light, but have pretty wimpy looking crampons. The Atlas 1230s have a pretty good looking crampon, but weigh quite a lot more.

I'm thinking of foregoing weight concerns and selecting the 1230s since I'll (hopefully) get both the good traction that the MSRs offer and floatation that they lack. I'll pay a weight penalty I guess, but…such is life.

Does anyone here use the 1230s or Backcountry for similar peakbagging over steep terrain? How do you find that they perform?

Thanks,
Dave

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 8:37 am

Dave,
I have the NL 30" Backcountry Rescues. I would be hesitant to recommend them for steep uphill climbing. I have trouble going both up and down (thinking skiing down) on about 45* slopes. I guess snow conditions would also play a role in this, but I don't think these excel in steep inclines. Of course, YMMV.

t.darrah BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 8:57 am

In past years I used the MSR EVO Ascent snowshoes. They performed great in very steep conditions both going up and down. Traction was never an issue regardless of snow conditions. This past winter I'm used, and will continue using this winter, the MSR Lightning Ascent. Using either of these MSR versions would be a good selection IMO. The binding is the best of any brand, again IMO.

Did you try the add on tails designed for the EVO? these add up to 6" of length. The Lightning Ascents come in various sizes for additional floatation.

Dave . BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 9:02 am

Steve: That's what I figured. Thanks for the heads up.

Thom: No doubt about it, the MSRs have great traction. But breaking trail on an approach with a 22" snowshoe can be a chore. And, although I haven't tried them yet, I'm not sure I trust the add on tails to provide much in the way of extra floatation.

So, I know they're heavy, but are there any Atlas users out there?

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 9:04 am

I feel like this is a redundant question, since I'm assuming you've tried them… but are you using flotation tails on the Denali's?

I can't rec. either of the other two, having never used them… I'm a big fan of the MSR's.

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 9:07 am

Hmmm, maybe try the 6" tails first?

Cheaper than a new pair of snowshoes, and if you are happy with them already, other than that one issue… they are going to add only 2 inches less flotation than the Atlas. I'd give it a shot.

Although granted, I don't think the MSR is ideal for floating down unbroken trail… the trade off is the great traction.

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 9:14 am

I hate to break it to you, but breaking trail in deep snow with any snowshoe can be a chore ;-)
I have the 6" tails for my denalis, and I found they work fairly well to add flotation in deep drifts. The northern lites are solid shoes for trekking, but for steep and icy terrain it is hard to beat the MSRs. The flotation you get from any shoe is going to be based mainly on the surface area, so when you add a 6" section it is going to improve. I recently moved, making the transition from steep surfaces in the rockies to the steep powder drifts in northern michigan, and the tails help a lot. After getting used to the traction from my denalis I don't want to give it up, I do wish they were a little lighter though.

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 9:27 am

To reiterate what Steve said- the Northern Lites can be downright dangerous in very steep terrain. I use my Backcountry' for winter in the Catskills and Adirondacks. I have ended up in full splits descending between Slide and Wittenberg- and from the Gothics. I aint that flexible and it hurt… ascending is also very difficult.

They are wonderful for moderate terrain, but I would not buy them again for the Northeast.

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 9:36 am

My husband hates MSR's and uses Atlas 1036's. They are designed to haul weight – hunters often use them.
The 12 series is more technical of course and have excellent side crampons for biting in. My buddy Drew wears 12's – they have been used in the Military as well.

But, be forewarned: walking with 12's on is a bit weird – it is so wide compared to others, and the length can make backing up nearly impossible in certain snow.

But having said that, the Atlas big ones can haul weight – 300 lbs or so!

I went to MSR Denali Evo's and wouldn't get rid of them – I use the tails.

Yes, you sink. But honestly, you sink no matter what in fresh snow. The concept of floating has to be the best snowshoeing urban myth ;-) Even my skinny kid sinks a bit. I have him break trail often, he packs it just enough that I don't sink to my waist in odd spots.

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 12:24 pm

My husband and I both use MSR's. I use the Lightning's and he uses the Denali Ascents. Both provide excellent traction for climbing.

He's 6'2" and needs more flotation than I do, but he thinks because the flotation is added onto the rear, and the center of weight doesn't change, they're not as effective as they could be if he could add flotation in both front and back. It's just a theory, and the flotation does help him, but not as much as he would like.

As others have implied, sinking in snow, even in snowshoes, is a fact of life and not always a problem that can be solved.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Hey all-

I guess you can tell when it's a slow day at work for me… lotsa posts!

I've owned and used shoes from Atlas, Tubbs, Sherpa, Redfeather, MSR and Iverson (had to sneak that in…) and others. Truth be told, I really like my old Sherpas and some of the Tubbs. Darn shame about the weight of Tubbs. I have to throw in a dissenting opinion on the Atlas shoes.

I loathe Atlas shoes. Mind you, I still own a couple pair, but I typically pawn them off on people joining me on the trail. Reason for hating them? The binding. They have the "spring-loaded" feature (that uses tension but not springs) on the bindings. From my use of them, they're very tiring to use and waste a lot of energy. The theory goes that the shoe snaps back up when you step, making it easier to walk. However, I've found that I get a lot of heel slap. I've also found that Atlas shoes kick a ton of snow up from the back (which also means you're lifting the full weight of that snow with each step). Tubbs-style bindings, on the other hand, have an essentially free-pivoting movement. When you walk, the tail stays in a more dropped position and snow can passively slide off (not carrying as much snow weight). No heel-slap. (That heel-slap of Atlas reminds me of Chinese water torture.)

I got curious, though, because I'm not aware of lighter weight shoes with comparable traction that don't have that horrid binding. Two companies I found on the web intrigue me: Dion Snowshoes and GV Snowshoes. Dion basically does a customized shoe for what looks like reasonable prices. GV makes shoes for the Canadian military, so it seems. I just found these companies, have no further insight into them, but might be worth a look. Cheers-

Jonathan Ryan BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I def agree. I hike in NH and on steep icy sections the NL's are not the greatest. But overall a great snowshoe

PostedDec 16, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Northern lites, IMO, are definitely a great snowshoe for moderate steepness and the flats, marginally better for steep uphills as long as it isn't icy, and pretty sketchy coming down the steep stuff regardless of the type of snow. I had some "interesting" experiences with my Elites on ~45-50 degree slopes here in the Cascades last winter and have resolved to pick up a pair of Lightening Ascents before going back for seconds.

PostedJan 7, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Great posts, since they agree with what I have found with the NL Rescue. These babies are awesome on the tail end of a herd down a moderate trail, but once we headed uphill I wound up climbing with my scrawny arms. It was not fun atall.

Here in the Catskills – Daks and other hills of NY State we have more slight snow with ice than we do powder to play in. Thus, just like running shoes and other gears, the conditions that those of us face here in the East call for different gear than is required by our brethern out West.

I have looked around and found the MSR Lightning Ascent to seem the best of the lot for what we got. Although not cheap, there are a number of pair for sale on EBAY for around $180, new, including shipping. There is now one less pair there

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...