Topic

Packrafting Destination Recommendation Solicitation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Packrafting Destination Recommendation Solicitation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

After reading Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows" my son has proposed that the two of us do a river trip in 2009. He's 26 and fit; I'm 56 and very fit, but neither of us has any significant experience in river travel outside a very few, very casual canoe trips on relatively easy whitewater streams. After researching options for a conveyance to support this endeavor, I have concluded that the packraft is a strong possibility despite our relative inexperience. My preferential mode of travel is "Shanks Mare", but after reviewing some of the available information on PR's I am actually moving from mild anxiety toward eager anticipation.

I am now at the stage of investigating some possible destinations for this trip. The duration would be 7 days including travel to/from the put-in/take-out (I'm in Tucson, he is in Houston. We would most likely drive from Tucson, but flying is a possibility. He is adamant that the river should be something relatively remote (I concur) yet suitable for a couple of landlubbers. Decent fishing would be a plus.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions or resources (books, websites) that might guide us in our decision?

Thanks,
    Jerry Cagle (in torrid Tucson, AZ)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The Salt River, AZ

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

What time of year?

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Where would you suggest putting-in at?

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Time of year hasn't been determined yet. He's in college, so it would probably take place around his school obligations… so, probably spring break (March) or summer. I suppose there are normal flows to consider for different rivers in different seasons…

Scott Winkleman

@sewinkleman

The Salt normally runs from late February through May. It's highly unlikely it will be runnable during the summer.

In addition, you'll also need to deal with the somewhat complicated permit system. (you can't just show up & run it). Here's a link to learn more about it.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rec-permits-srpermits.shtml

On a side note, I don't feel the Salt would be a good choice for a first time pack-rafter. It's a solid class III and remote. While I've never pack-rafted, I'm an experienced kayaker and have been on several multi-day self supported river trips. I would suggest the San Juan as a better alternative.

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Hmmm… the San Juan is an interesting possibility. Where would you suggest I look for specific info… Do you have a favorite website or book you'd recommend?

Scott Winkleman

@sewinkleman

Jerry,
    Probably a good place to start is at the BLM website:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/monticello/recreation/san_juan_river.html

You'll still need a permit to run the San Juan but they're easier to get. Mostly because this section of the river is dam controlled & runnable most of the year. There's two sections that are normally run. One put-in is at Sand Island & the other at Mexican Hat. The section starting at Mexican Hat has a little more "activity" in it but only one major rapid (Government) which can easily be portaged.

Plan on about 4 or 5 days to run that section. The section starting at Sand Island takes 2 or 3 days. I've never run that section but my understanding is there's not much in the way of rapids there. Certainly nothing above class II. Or you can combine them for a week of wilderness paddling.

You can run these in March but it will be cold at night. Summer will be hot especially in July & August.

A good book about rivers in the Rocky Mountain West is Whitewater of the Southern Rockies. A friend of mine is one of the authors. It lists most every known river run from class I to class V+ in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona & Wyoming. It's very extensive but more kayaking oriented.

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Thanks so much. That helps A LOT…! The book is a bit pricey, but looks to have a ton of info.

Scott Winkleman

@sewinkleman

Jerry,
    If you think the San Juan looks good, I'd recommend getting the river map for it. Here's a link for it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Juan-River-Guide-Lisa-Kearsley/dp/0971715300

It's mostly a very detailed map printed on waterproof paper but will give you some good information about the river, too. You might be able to find one in a local outdoor shop for $15 – $20. If you do run the San Juan, you'll definitely want this guide with you.

Scott

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Labyrinth and/or Stillwater Canyons on the Green River are excellent float trips, with no rapids, great scenery, and nice side hikes.

Head on over to the Alpacka website forums, and look at Roman Dial's writeup of his canyonlands trip.

Stephen Owens
    BPL Member

@walknhigh

Locale: White Mtns, AZ

You could meet half way at Big Bend National Park,Tx.. There several canyons to float of varing lengths and skill. Winter is the prime time though. Summer can be a sizler. If you want Arizona there's always the Gila up by Winkleman but May is the end of the season unless they are releasing from San Carlos. Check out Southwest Paddler web site.

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Any concerns about smugglers, et. al. on the Rio Grande…? It looks like we're going to do this trip sometime between 12/18/2009 & 1/18/2010

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Been a few years since anyone was shot at on the river. And you can also take out in Big Bend State Park. Personally, I take the Border Patrol's advice in that part of the world, and carry.

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

I didn't think you could carry in a National Park…

Stephen Owens
    BPL Member

@walknhigh

Locale: White Mtns, AZ

There are warnings about smugglers in the Big Bend Area, but rare because of the remoteness (on both sides). According to park service regulations if you carry, the unloaded weapon and ammo must be seperated and no speed loaders or loaded magizines are allowed (prevents rapid loading). Only parks in Alaska allow loaded weapons.

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

I suppose it's because of the presence of grizzlies (humans have proven to be more dangerous…) -:o)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools