Topic

Ultralight waterproof backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ultralight waterproof backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

In past few years, I'm using a light, waterproof pack I made. The trick to make it light and waterproof is to separate the load-bearing harness and a waterproof drybag. The latest, third version weights 320 grams (11 oz) and looks like this:

waterproof backpack

If you like it, you can find detailed instructions and patterns here: gear.rezacovi.cz/backpack_mk3/instructions.html

The website has some problems right now, you can also download the instructions here: http://rapidshare.com/files/175347142/instructions.zip.html

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

That's interesting. Now I have to go look up the conversion from grams to ounces.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Or just go to google.com and type "320 grams to ounces" in the search bar and it will return the result of around 11 ounces.

Gotta love google for all the fluid ounces to cups to cubic inches to liters to etc. when comparing products.

Unknown abc

@edude

Joe, I have this bookmarked to make ALL Unit Conversions a snap.

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Bookmark it and you'll never have to do the math again!

Just my 2 cents.

Cool backpack, Jan

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Nice pack & fantastic directions! I am going a similar way with my own pack frame, but so far it's not so light.

You may be able to get some feedback on dry bags from the users of the Arctic 1000 packs. They have a Pacific Outdoor Equipment Pneumo LTW. 50 and 65 liters. Chosen because of the welded seams.

There was a dry bag roundup article in 2006: Link

Graham Wilson

@grawil

The photo looks great, but the link to the instructions does not work?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I drove to the town where I bought my sewing machine, and the thousand year old man I bought it from still has his shop. He checked it out, and showed me how to thread it again. Been 15 years since I did boat canvas, but I think I'm going to have to make one of these. And a bivy.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

The site is online again.

Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

Jan:

Could not get the link to work – but like what I see so far. Been playing with a similar project. Nice work.

Just curious – where do you hike in the Czech Republic? Drove from Amsterdam to CR about 15 years ago and stayed in Opatov. Prague is one of my favorite cities – beautiful with beautiful people….

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Great looking pack Jan. Site seems to be down again though.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I am trying to allow others to find this great pattern via Google by adding a couple of search terms they may be using.

Someone is asking for a pattern for this on PracticalBackpacking.com but I can't join, I only have a yahoo address. Wah. ** LINK **

If someone is a forum member there, post a link to this Thanks!

Moonbow Gearskin Backpack Plans
    Arctic 1000 Backpack Plans
    Ultralight Pack Frame Plans
    Alternative Pack Frame Plans
    Ultralight Lightweight Waterproof Backpack Plans

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Paul,
    FYI – I know you said 'Google' but –

The forums get indexed only a few times a week, so if you're expecting to find them with the BPL search give it a few days.

Also, as you may know, even then the BPL search is less than stellar.

And for others who may not know – to use Google on this site include the string

site:www.backpackinglight.com

in a Google search bar to restrict the search to just BPL.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

The website has some problems right now, you can also download the instructions here: http://rapidshare.com/files/175347142/instructions.zip.html

Tom Peterson
    BPL Member

@tpeterson1959

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very nice design, and I admire it's simplicity! Thanks for sharing.

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

If you use FireFox you can use the HyperWords add on which will make ANY text interactive, to convert, translate or link etc….

I'm an IT dummy so I love this as I can convert weights, volume, currency etc, easily, without having to type in or open a new page for the info I want.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=hyperwords&cat=all

This add on gets used every online session.

I also really like that pack idea!

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

what is the volume capacity of the pack and is there a maximum recommended load (weight)?

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

I guess the volume is a bit over 30 l what equals exactly to 2000 cuin. Manufacturer of the drybag says it's 37 l (~ 2222 cuin).

I have carried about 10 kg / 20 lbs in it and it is still quite comfortable. It would be possible to carry more if the pack was higher, because it holds its shape well when loaded. The limitation is in its short torso length, that is determined by the width of the sleeping pad.

The first version of the pack was made with wider pad (60 cm / 24 in), and it I used it even for a week long trip carrying all the food. Later, I switched to regular width pad, that small pack is just what I need for weekend or three days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools