Topic

GoLite trail shoes

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedDec 14, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I have been thinking of trying the GoLite trail shoes since I've heard that they have a wide toebox, plus they're on sale online.

How is the Sun Dragon different from the Trail Fly and Spike Tail?

Recommendations? I want a secure, stable shoe.

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2008 at 3:56 pm

The ones on sale are probably Timerbland era shoes. I would wait until some full priced models come out. The Timberand ones had horrible quality problems.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2008 at 3:57 pm

"I would wait until some full priced models come out."

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere a few months ago that GoLite exited the shoe business — and thus the flood of shoes on sale???

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2008 at 4:12 pm

From what I understand, a few gurus at Timberland had some great ideas, but marketing said they would never sell as Timberlands. Hence the made them under the Golite brand. Well, the quliaty blew and Timberland abandoned it, hence the shoes all getting liquidated. Well, one of the gurus bought up the rights to the brand from Timberland and is (or has) started to reintroduce the shoes they way he always wanted.

Hopefully the quality will improve. I hear the customer service has already under the new ownership. All of this had nothing to do with golite, other than golite leasing the name out.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedDec 14, 2008 at 4:32 pm

I think New England shoes bought them out, but the Timberland ones weren't too swift. My son wore the soles out on a pair of Sun Dragons on a round trip up Guadelupe Peak in Texas. Brand new shoes, nine whole miles. I posted pics on here somewhere.

PostedDec 14, 2008 at 5:04 pm

I have been using the golite sun dragons for more than an year since their introduction. I have used the "series 1" and "series 2" versions.
The original or series 1 version had great fit and are the most comfortable trail shoes I have ever used (sizing is about a 1/2 size smaller than normal), but the construction quality was truly terrible. I went through pairs in only 40-80 miles. Very bad when they were $100 per pair. You can now buy them on ebay for $34 and I still do. I did get golite to replace a few pairs and they did with the series 2 version. This new version does last much longer but the fit and lacing has changed and they are no longer as comfortable as the original. The series 2 versions can now be found at big discounts at Backcountry.com and other online stores.

Logan K BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 8:46 am

While I love the idea of these shoes, and I have been round and round trying to make them work for me and being a "brand loyal" customer, I must be honest about the following:

These are the most murderously slippery shoes I've ever experienced. The least bit of moisture underfoot creates a potentially treacherous situation. 20 miles of bog bridges in the 100 mile wilderness was no fun – not because of the terrain but because of these shoes.

AS I said, I like alot about them, including the fit, but I am in the market for something new and different (INOV-8?), and have size 7/8 Sun Dragons and Storm Dragons for really cheap if anyone wants them!

Logan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...