Topic

Platy Bottles during Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Platy Bottles during Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

I am about to start winter backpacking. I use the platy 1 liter bottles with a hydration hose. I want to keep using the hydration hose but worry that the small opening to the 1 liter bottle will freeze up. I use the platy big zip when I bike and could switch to this but I wonder how difficult the top is to close when its freezing outside..I must stay as light as possible..any other winter platy users out there??

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

There is a winter forum with a similar post.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

My advice – DON’T DO IT!

Ditch the hoze, it’s just not worth it. I teach winter camping in idaho, wyoming and alaska.

Everybody wants to bring their hoze system, and I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve heard: “Oh NO, my hoze is frozen!”

In winter – you have to reach into your pack to get a bottle out. THat said, a platypus works INSIDE your ack, just don’t use the hoze.

IT WILL FREEZE!

I’ve camped at 40 degrees below zero with beginer students. No hoze – I don’t care what tricks you have – will stay usable!

peace from driggs,
    M!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools