Topic

Updated Summer List, 3 day 2 night, No rain weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Updated Summer List, 3 day 2 night, No rain weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Unknown abc

@edude

Here is my updated summer list to apply to those weekends where rain is is not in the forecast at all.(3 days 3 nights)

*Items I have yet to obtain

Clothing Worn While Hiking

1.Exoffico Nylon Pants
    2.Hiking T-shirt
    3.Hiking Socks
    4.Poly-Pro Liner Socks
    5.Baseball Cap
    6.Trekking poles(w/3ft duct tape on each one)
    7.Lightweight Hiking Boots
    8.Sunglasses

Extra Clothing Packed

1.Fleece Pullover – 14oz.
    2.Emergency Poncho – 2oz.

Total Weight of Extra Clothing – 16 oz.

Sleep System/Core

1.Blast 26 Backpack w/additoinal features – 4.4oz.*
    2.3/4 length sleeping pad – 7oz.
    3.Homemade Tyvek bivy w/no zipper – 4 oz.?*
    4.Slumberjack 20F Bag – 49 oz.

Total Weight of Sleeping System – 28.4 oz.

Cooking (2 hot dinners)(in same stuff sack as food)

1.Pot w/lid – 3.1 oz.
    2.Homemade Esbit Stove – 0.2 oz.
    3.2 Esbit Tabs – 1 oz.*
    4. Light My Fire Spork – 0.35 oz.
    5. 15 matches & 1 trick birthday candle in mini ziploc – 0.2 oz.
    6.Cottage Cheese Bowl – 0.5 oz.
    7.Stuff Sack For Bearbagging – 1 oz.
    8. Aluminum Foil Windsceen – 0.4 oz.
    9.Trash Bag – 1 oz
    10. 20 ft Paracord – 2 oz.
    11.Platypus Platy Sport Water Bottle – 0.7 oz.*

Total Weight of Cooking – 10.45 oz.

Other (in ziploc bag)
    1. Silva Orienteering Compass – 2 oz.
    2.Map of area – 1 oz ?
    3.TP:(10) 4in*4in Blue Shop Towels – 1oz
    4.Bandanna – 1oz.
    5.12in*12in Microfiber towel – 2oz.
    6.Minor Wound Care Supplies w/Bic lighter (1/2 full of fuel)- 2.5 oz.
    7.1.5 fl.oz. Sunsceen – 2.1 oz.
    8. 0.5 oz bottle of Purrel – 0.6 oz

Total of Other – 12.2 oz.

Hydration

1.Platypus Big Zip SL 2L Hydration
    Bladder 70 oz. – 4oz.*
    2.Katadyn Hiker Filter – 11 oz.*

Total Weight of Hydration – 15 oz.

Total Weight of Base Weight in Pack –
    129 oz. = apx 8lbs.

I figure if I save all the money I get by doing work from my neighbors, I can have enough to get all or most of the stuff I don't have yet by next summer.

Feedback Appreciated!

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana
    Unknown abc

@edude

Cool Roman, I see you've got a good sophisticated list for a small amount of weight, some good ideas in your list.

Thanks!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Platypus Platy Sport Water Bottle – 0.7 oz.* (?)

(and)

Platypus Big Zip SL 2L Hydration Bladder 70 oz. – 4oz.* (?)

Above : you've listed TWO water bottles? What for? Just take the two liter version (is it hoze version? You can leave the hoze behind too)

= = = = =

12in*12in Microfiber towel – 2oz. – – – A towel AND a bandana? You don't need both.

1.5 fl.oz. Sunscreen – 2.1 oz. – – – TOO much, repackage in a smaller bottle. You have long pants.

Katadyn Hiker Filter – 11 oz.* – – – Use a chemical treatment like AQUA-MIRA, and save a LOT. You are in Northern Idaho, right? That's the cleanest water in the world!

Cottage Cheese Bowl – 0.5 oz. – – – A bowl AND a pot? Eat out of the pot. Nix the bowl.

Fleece Pullover – 14oz. – – – Fleece is heavier than a PUFFY jacket. Invest in a puffy DOWN jacket.

Slumberjack 20F Bag – 49 oz. – – – A THREE pound sleeping bag for summer? You should invest in a 40 degree down bag, and save a LOT of weight.

Homemade Tyvek bivy w/no zipper – 4 oz.?* – – – Why a take a bivy if the weather is clear? What purpose is it serving? Have you tried this? It may be really clammy and soak your sleeping bag.

TP:(10) 4in*4in Blue Shop Towels – 1oz – – – The toilet paper is NOT a necessity, you can easily leave it behind. (really)

Trash Bag – 1 oz – – – A trash bag should NOT weigh one once, Just use an empty food bag after the first meal.

Lightweight Hiking Boots – – – Go with sneakers!!! That the whole reason to have a light pack – to ditch the booots!

Emergency Poncho 20z – – – What emergency will it solve? I don't know what purpose it'll serve? If you are going without a shelter – go without a shelter!

No spoon?

No warm hat?

= = = =

The two biggies are the sleeping bag and the Water filter. Next is the fleece pullover. Revise these biggies and you'll be stylin'

= = = =

Just so you know, I go out without a shelter ALL the time in the summer, in idaho! I love the freedom. I figure, the worst that happens is I walk until the rain stops. It's never happened (Knock wood).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

And God help him if he gets sick on his trip and is without shelter when that forecasted clear weather doesn't remain clear.

The BPL employees recommending forum members to go without shelter (in form of tarp or raingear) should be adding lengthy disclaimers to their posts so the lawyers don't come looking for ya if/when something bad happens.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Two words: contributory negligence.

Unknown abc

@edude

Don't worry John, I feel totally comfortable with no shelter. Besides, I can improvise with my emergency poncho. I am also a competant shelter builder if storm clouds are forming above me before bed.

Besides, I would'nt sue a fellow backapcker anyway!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

"Here is my updated summer list to apply to those weekends where rain is is not in the forecast at all.(3 days 3 nights)"

Evan wrote the above for the opening of his post.

Maybe it is bold to go into the mountains without a shelter, but it IS a tried and true technique for lightening the load. When I go out with a good weather forecast, I try hard to take NOTHING that I don't need.

I feel very strongly that there is a need to share my insights at as high a standard as I can. It would be a disservice to the readers if I "self-edited" in a way that would minimize what I share.

He asked for help, and I gave him an answer that is bold, but it feels appropriate. Hiking all night in the rain to stay warm IS an option.

Unknown abc

@edude

Thanks Mike for your boldness. Ultralight Backpacking wouldn't exist if those who seek a light load would not be bold and step up to share and debate their ideas.

Unknown abc

@edude

Sorry Mike I meant 3 day 2 night (I just edited that)

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I'll echo everything Mike said, and I'll add a few things:

Lose the fleece pull over – get a puffy jacket and you're never wear fleece on your torso in 3+ season conditions ever again. Ever. Mike recommended down, I'm partial to a synthetic parka in summer conditions. I know you said you're expecting great weather but this is my preference.

Get a 40 degree quilt and lost almost 35 ounces, or more. You could also get a 2/3 quilt (a la MLD) and use the puffy jacket for torso insulation. Also, get a thin fleece hat and some Powerstretch Gloves. Each should weigh 1 to 1.5 ounces and are worth the weight.

Unknown abc

@edude

How about a Backpacking Light PRO 60 Quilt?
    It looks pretty expensive but looks like its worth the investment next year…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools