Topic

Anyone have a Flat Arch and use Trail Runners?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Some of you may know I've had a small problem with my socks:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16952

After the excellent help I'm currently, pardon the pun, running through trail shoe reviews:

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14877

http://www.runningtimes.com/Channel.aspx?CategoryID=194

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400–12847-0,00.html

I trail run on any kind of surface. Anything. And I'll hike, run, walk, and jog on it as well. My questions? Anyone have super flat feet and wear trail runners? What do you currently use? I can only look at a webpage. I can't get a good feel for the shoes and how they perform in the real world.

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 1:18 pm

I discovered that I had slightly flat feet (R more than L) after putting on 300 miles or so of marathon training this past summer. I had been running on some Salomons, but the arch was too high and eventually it caused pain in my right ankle area. Nothing severe, but I had to take a month off two months before the race.

Now I run in a pair of Nike Elite 4+, which is a stabilizer shoe that is meant for folks with flat feet. I have used hiking a few times, and it has held up just fine. For socks, I wear Smartwool Adrenaline Ligiht Mini Crew or Smartwool Expedition trekking (heavy cushion).

David Noll BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I have very flat feet and use Innov8 315s with custom orthotics and have had no trouble.

PostedDec 14, 2008 at 3:46 pm

David, that's encouraging to hear that. I have slightly wide, flat feet as well and have tried more pairs of shoes than I can count but haven't been 100% satisfied. I don't like shoes that are extra wide b/c sometimes the volume is too big. Do the Innov8 315s have a nice, WIDE forefoot? Do they feel pretty stable?

Rod Lawlor BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 1:04 am

David,

Have you tried the Salomon XAs.

I have seriously flat feet. We're talking foot prints which are basically round. Where the arch curves in, mine curves out. In addition to this, the transverse arch has also collapsed over the last couple of years. (This is the cross ways arch under the metatarsal heads.) This gives the IMPRESSION of a wide flat foot, and shoe fitters will often try to fit a 4E shoe. In reality though, this provides far too much volume, which you seem to have some experience with.

[Choosing a pronation control runner MAY also fail to control your flat feet, since these depend on the differential compression of two different grades of EVA (or similar proprietary foam). This is tuned to activate at a percentage of body weight of an average runner, generally around 150%, generated at heel strike during running. ]

I find the XAs have a fairly narrow heel section, with a strong heel counter. This is crucial for good pronation control. The laces allow great cradling of the midfoot, and the forefoot is pretty wide. I find two problems with the stock insoles. There is inevitably a crease in the heel cup, but this can be cut out, and there is a ridge under the arch, where insole meets the waist of the shoe. This can be either sanded or skived with a razor.

I find that I need to custom make insoles just for these shoes, if I want to use custom, due to the lower volume, wrap around waist.

I'm also keen to try the Innov8s, when some one starts stocking them in Australia, but I am concerned about the lack of under foot padding.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...