Topic

Contrail in the wind

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
PostedDec 12, 2008 at 10:05 pm

We have had some decent rain in Melbourne and today it started to blow. A lot of my apricots have left the tree…
So I took the opportunity to show what happens with the Contrail in the wind.
I set it up in the school grounds opposite to my place (well exposed area) and purposely pointed the tent so that most gusts would hit it sideways.
I tried to snap the picture as a gust was hitting, strong enough to move me forward. (whatever that is…)
The shelter is in tension in all of the pictures. The difference is in how the various tie outs/guylines support the corner guyouts .
The first picture is the standard set up.
Next is with the rear section down.
Then with my rear strut, the front guyline and the side ones but not fully down
(note the stuff sack used as a "tell tale")
The last is the "storm" set up with the side tie outs to the ground.
You can still increase the wind resistance by dropping the height of the front pole by a few inches.
(of course if you point the tail into the wind you don't really need to do most of the above)
The point is not to show that the Contrail is the ideal wind-worthy tent (it isn't), but it is better than some think.
FrancoContrail not
Contrail no help
Contrail some help
Contrail full help

twig . BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 4:31 am

Hey Franco,
Great test, true dedication to the cause! I have added a rear pole to my contrail after seeing your earlier photos, makes a great difference to the sagging in the foot end. That tent can be cinched down really taught, definitely my one man tent of choice. Now for the video of Franco pitching the tent in 60mph winds in 60 seconds…

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 9:17 am

Franco,

I'm getting a Contrail for X-mas.

So what is the ideal way to set up a Contrail if you know there is a storm coming: the front (or lower end) into the wind with everything lowered as much as possible??

MTS

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 9:49 am

I usually put mine with the front into the wind to help shear it off. And if the wind is stong enough to deform the front it really doesn't make much of a difference upon the inside living space.

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 9:51 am

Looks surprisingly good in that last photo. I've had my Rainbow up in some really nasty wind, so bad that it ripped the tent stakes ouf of the ground. It flapped all night and I frequently had the walls hit me in the face, but it never ripped apart.

I try to avoind exposed sites, but it's nice to know it can take it if I don't have a choice.

Roger B BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 10:20 am

The contrail looks great, as does the commodore, Pajero and Discovery. I really need to spend more time in Oz.

By the way Franco what is the grey "?" at the top RH corner of the third photo? Is it your Integral Designs Poncho blowing in the wind?

Well done on your commitment to the science of Tarp tents.

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 10:26 am

Hi Franco,

Have you ever experienced water traveling across the mesh into the bathtub floor of the Contrail during rain?

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for all the comments…

The best storm set up would be as in the bottom picture with the tail into the wind.
If you prefer the front (entrance) into the wind, then you could help by using the apex guyline under the fabric.
Contrail front windward

The grey thingo is the Contrail stuff sack (stuff sac here…) that I was using as a telltale, it's flying towards the shelter.
Telltale "Yachting. (on a sailboat) a feather, string, or similar device, often attached to the port and starboard shrouds and to the backstay,
to indicate the relative direction of the wind."

Note the more pronounced catenary curve in the bottom shot, if you look carefully at the beak (vestibule) panel and the area between that and the mid point tie down you can see that the wind is pushing against it yet is not deforming the rest of the shelter.
In spite of looking very limp in the top picture, it has the same tension as in the bottom except for the help of the four added guy and tie down points.

John
No, I have seen a lot of rain ( particularly with the 06 version) but never had any inside. If I suspect wind driven rain I set it up as in the bottom picture because it does not take much breeze at all to keep it dry.

Again the point was to illustrate that it can shed side wind.

Franco

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 3:49 pm

What are you using for the third strut? Can you post close up pictures of it?

Chances are I'm getting a contrail after the holidays and your setups seem to be the ticket.

Thanks

Jeremy

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Jeremy…
Here's one of the one's I had made by Fibraplex ($6). Shock corded, extended total length 20".

Contrail Center-Rear Strut

twig . BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 4:08 pm

"What are you using for the third strut? "
Franco has posted photos in the past of his strut, from memory it was a cut down pole from another tent. I have used a carbon fibre arrow shaft(only cost a couple of dollars and the "prongs" that fit into the bow also work well to hold up the guyline) and have also used a pole you can order from henry (about 1 metre long) and cut it down to about 40-45 cm, this has the ability to fold in half so packs down smaller, I just tie it on to the guyline with a clove hitch.

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Contrail strut
It is just a pole section from a bargain bin (20g/0.71oz) . The coupler is the tip of the pole reversed , it is always attached to that guy line.
Franco

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would it be possible to use my 2nd trekking pole collapsed in place for the third strut since I'd have it with me anyways?

I love this forum!

Jeremy

PostedDec 13, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Hi Jeremy
That is exactly what I did the first time. Not long after I received the Contrail , I had it set up and went for a walk on the beach. (Wilsons Prom, the bottom end of the state) It started bucketing down and I arrived back at camp to find a few liters of water sitting on the tail of the shelter. ( John, even then the inside was dry…) That prompted me to use my spare walking stick and work out the strut solution. I now carry the Contrail with the extra strut , not a big weight gain at 20g, but you coult use a stick or your spare pole.
Franco
Contrail and rear pole
It does not need to be that high, I was just trying some thing out in that shot…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Loading...