It seems that chlorie dioxide is a very popular option and that most will agree that about 20min is the min treatment time but it definitely sounds like all are at risk for cryposporidiosis if the water is not treated for the full 4 hours. This can need antibiotics to resolve so are all of you just really lucky or is the company's legal rep being REALLY conservative?
Topic
Sorry, another Aquamira question
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Treatment time for viruses and bacteria: 20 minutes.
Treatment time for bigger, harder to kill protozoa (e.g. crypto, giardia) — 30 minutes (water at room temp) all the way to 4 hours (water that's just above freezing). Chemicals just need more time in cold water.
Ben:
What's the treatment for protozoa if the water is in the 30s F? Com'on Ben, you're the Frontier Pro expert.
I'm still debating whether or not to take my Pro on my upcoming Big Bend trip. Water sources are scarce, so I would be filtering less often (and carrying more water at a time), so the reduced weight of the Pro would compensate for the longer filtration time.
David:
As above, low 30's — 20 minutes for bacteria and viruses, and 4 hours for protozoa cysts.
I wouldn't stress out over it.
Pick a good source, wait 20-30 minutes, you'll be fine.
Ben
Sorry…I meant bacteria and viruses, since the protozoa are removed by the Frontier Pro. You don't think lower temps call for increased wait times?
BTW, have you tried using LESS ClO2 than what the instructions specify? Think of all the weight you could save by reducing the number of tablets you have to carry (yes, I count tablets when reporting pack weight). :)
David:
Answering your question, the Aquamira chart that used to be easily googled but now seem to have disappeared indicated the same 20 minutes treatment time for bacteria and viruses for BOTH room temp and cold temp. It is only the harder-to-kill protozoa that require longer time for cold temps.
Having said the above, if you are going to use Frontier Pro to trap protozoa — then why not just carry a tiny bottle of household bleach to handle bacteria/viruses and save yourself some money?
ClO2 tablets — $13 for 30.
Store brand bleach — $2 for a big, big bottle that will probably last you 'forever'
You're planning on adding bleach to drinking water?
I got the idea of using household bleach from various reputable websites — including the EPA.
1. Add 2-4 droplets of bleach per liter or quart of water.
2. Wait 30 minutes to treat against bacteria and viruses (if present).
3. Drink water through Aquamira Frontier Pro — which blocks protozoa, clarifies water, and improves water taste — including adsorption (removal) of chlorine.
The instruction to wait until it smells of bleach is a bit repulsive. I guess if it's good enough for third-world countries and disaster-zones. . .
Yeah, I found that weird too — and not repeated at other sites. I replaced the old link with the current EPA link — which is also authoritative. In any case, my point — in response to your question — is that chlorine / household bleach is a very acceptable way of disinfecting water.
How long does it take to clear 32 oz?
Used as a gravity filter, it's about 2.5 minutes per liter or quart.
I mostly use it as an inline filter — although it can also be screwed directly onto a Platypus bottle (or any bottle with a standard 28mm thread).
The bleach/Frontier Pro combo is my current favorite — a great compromise of light weight, compactness, ease of use and reasonable wait time. Great for solo use as an inline — or small group use in gravity mode.
benjamin, i use the filter with the bag from antigravity gear. i've always added the bleach to the "filtered" h20 as i can't be sure how much water is in the bag. i guess i've never noticed the bleach taste, even drinking it straight. someone was concerned about that. also, a question of how long it will last for a 4 week trip. anyone used it for that long?
IIRC from reading their journals over at Trailquest, Rainmaker and Brawny use bleach exclusively for their long hikes.
Victoria:
What you wrote applies to Aquamira/Micropur drops / tablets as well. I simply can't stand their "swimming pool" taste at all. OTOH, there are others who don't mind the taste, or don't detect it, or actually like it — claiming that the chemicals actually improve water taste!
Like with other gear pieces, folks will have to try it out for themselves to know for sure.
I believe a bottle of household bleach can last for years…
I noticed something that may just be some kind of placebo effect, but sometimes, if I choose a great source, I can taste the "pool" taste. A questionable source tasted great. I only use it now in sources that I question and no longer get a "pool" taste…. must just be me gettin old!
Become a member to post in the forums.

