Topic

ZPacks™ “Blast” or “Z1” Backpacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks™ “Blast” or “Z1” Backpacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Unknown abc

@edude

ZPacks™ "Blast" or "Z1" Backpacks

Does Anyone have expirience with these packs and are they of good quality? They look kinda plasticy and that they would rip eaisly…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have a Z1. The workmanship is great and the material has good tear strength for its weight. However, UL being UL, this tissue-weight material has relatively poor resistance against puncture and abrasion.

UL packs are for UL gear. If you use it for the weight and volume that it's designed for — and if you exercise common sense care — then you can expect good service. But drag it against granite and you kiss it good-bye.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Zpacks use silicone-coated 1.1 ounce per square yard ripstop nylon, (silnylon for short) as pack cloth. As Benjamin mentioned, this is not your typical pack cloth. If you're familiar with ultralight tarps or ultra light stuffsacks (such as those made by Granite Gear or Sea to Summit), you may be familiar with this fabric. Silnylon will rip easier than your traditional oxford reinforced heavy pack cloth; that's a fact of life. However, if you want a 5 ounce backpack, you won't find a single one that's made out of a heavy pack cloth.

I have a Zpacks Zilch and can vouch for the craftsmanship. These packs are handmade in the USA and it shows. I also want to mention that this pack is extremely well designed and executed. I got the padded, winged hipbelt option and it is quite comfortable, even with weights approaching 17-18 pounds.

The Zpacks Blast uses a heavy duty version of Cuben fiber, which I'm not familiar with, but the owner apparently thru-hiked the PCT with one so I guess he knows how to build a durable Cuben fiber pack.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use a Blast 32 for fast and light trips. Workmanship is excellent. Design is inspired. The fabric is not fragile, but I do not expect it to last as long as a pack that weight three times as much.

Sometimes you wish those 6 pound packs would wear out.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

no, not the hardcore band, the pack.

I have a Blast 16 that was a custom build from Joe. its 1oz/yard Cuben and Ive taken it through miles and miles of Arizona's catsclaw and shrub oak primarily. There is light shredding on the outside pockets but the stitching, pack body, and the overall design is dang near perfect. These packs are designed for the hiker who needs nothing more than the most basic, purist backpack. No mesh pockets, no water bladder sleeves, very minimal compression system.
    fwiw, I fit anywhere between 4 and 10 lb base loads in the Blast 16 (16 liters)
    Im fairly easy on my gear. If you want a pack that you can sit on while hiking the Weminuche, look at something else. I can also recommend you take a look at the Jam2

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

the small size – i can use it for a weekend backpack

the fabric & seams seem really tough – i'm impressed with it

the thing is well built – if you want an ultralight pack, i think joe valesko can build you one you'll be happy with

jeffrey rumbles

@jsrumb

Locale: southern, ca

Picked a hipbelted/sternum strapped blast 18 a couple of months ago. After getting familiar with packing, it has become my favorite pack for up to 3 day outings. Durability of the cuban fiber has been excellent! Highly recommended!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools