I just got a Golite 2008 Pinnacle on clearance. I guess they have 2009 models coming out. I always wanted to try one but I’m usually broke. The sale was too good to pass up. My torso is 18.5 in so I got the medium according to the Golite size guide. I guess it fits OK, but I’m not sure as I have no experience with frameless packs. Does anyone have this pack? What is your torso length and what size did you get. I noticed at first that when I pull the shoulder load lifter straps the hip belt rose up above my hips. When I loaded the pack with about 9lbs of gear it seemed to work much better. I packed using the method of rolling up my short ridge rest on the inside and putting my gear in the middle. It seems like the pad pushes the pack away from my back. Again I am used to internal frame packs. Any advise would be great.
Topic
Golite Pinnacle – first frameless pack advise
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Do you mean when you pull the shoulder straps? I am pretty sure that pack does not have load lifters, unless they changed it up this year.
Yes you are correct. I was using the wrong terms. I mean shoulder straps. There are some higher straps on the top of the shoulder which seem to help pull the pack closer to the top of my back. Not that I'm a complete backpack lamen but Golite should have instructions on how to adjust their packs. Do you have this pack?
If the straps run from the top of the shoulder straps to the pack, they're load lifters. I loosen the shoulder straps and load lifters, then put the pack on and tighten the waist belt (all the weight on the belt that I can get). I then tighten the shoulder straps until the pack is stable, and then tighten the load lifters to pull it closer to my back. Personally, I try to have next to no weight on the shoulder straps. YMMV.
1. Question: What pad are you using to pad your back?
A full length Ridge-Rest would be TOO much (too thick), a RED tosro-light inflatable would be just about right (folded once, not to thick).
If it's TOO thick, the mass of the weight will be too far from your spine, and it'll be tippy and awkward.
If you do have a closed-cel-foam pad, just fold it once, or make a "tube" and slide that in your pack.
(you note "short ridge rest" in your posting, just fold it once, or make a tube)
2. Use the side compression straps to snug the load so the loaded pack isn't "droopy" … This pack is surprisingly big for a light pack, and if the load isn't snug and slightly compacted, it'll sag down and feel uncomfortable.
3. Inside the pack is a sleeve (held closed with velcro) and inside is a small sheet of foam. Is it the white foam? If so, it's kinda crappy. Pull it out an replace it with a stiffer foam, like the blue enslolite foam. That's what I did with an older model.
If you plan on a heavy load, like a 3 week unsupported trip, take a sheet of brown card-board, cut it to fit in the sleeve, and add it to the sleeve. Paint it with acrylic paint for waterproofness. This helps a little bit (worth the extra weight)
Or, find a sheet of thin (light, stiff plastic) I found some stuff at my hardware store that would be perfect. Search your garage, there is LOTS of plastic (that we treat as trash) that works perfectly.
4. The load lifters help a tiny bit, don't expect anything magical. Loosen them completely, then put the fully loaded back on your back, then – adjust your shoulder straps to a nice place – then gently snug them to a place where they begin to pull the pack toward your shoulder then stop.
3. Inside the pack is a sleeve (held close with velcro) …
If you plan on a heavy load, like a 3 week unsupported trip, take a sheet of brown card-board, cut it to fit in the sleeve, and add it to the sleeve.
or maybe corrugated plastic signboard, several folks have said they like that material for this purpose.
OOOOOH Yes!, that would be perfect!
Great feedback. Yes my sleeping pad is a ridge rest torso length. Maybe I should cut it down some. I'm not very tall 5'10".
I like the corrugated plastic idea.
So is the general consensus that the Golite size chart is accurate? I think I just need to fiddle with my packing method. I have the patients to make the pack work because I want to replace my 4lb 9oz internal frame pack.
The next thing I will replace is my 2lb 13oz sleeping bag. Then I will have a sub 10lb base weight down from 18lbs last year and down from 30lbs from 2006. Thanks to you folks and your brilliant knowledge sharing!
I didn't realize you could replace the foam in the Pinnacle, I will certainly be looking into that. Can you do the ame thing on the Jam2?
I replaced the foam on my original Jam. The foam thingy it comes with is worthless. Actually, it has weight, so therefore it is worth less than worthless!
Replaced mine with a 1/4 blue CCF cut to fit.
Daniel,
I read your post where it said "I have the patients to.." and for a brief second, I thought you were part of some sort of hospital slave labor society…
Ya, I got a better idea. Maybe I should go to the hospital and get patients to carry my gear for me. My pack weight…. 0 lbs. Now that's SUL.
Become a member to post in the forums.

