Dave:
There are as many "packing styles" as there are hikers.
But I like to put on the outside the stuff that I need during the day:
1. Tent — strapped outside. At the end, I can access the tent without opening up the pack — great for rainy days. Even better, when striking camp, I can pack up in the safety of my tent — then put on rain gear, take down and pack up the tent, attach it outside the pack — and be ready to go.
2. Rain jacket, hat, lunch and first aid kit — all in the large front pocket. I use ziploc bags to protect lunch and first aid kit.
3. Camera – front hip belt pocket.
4. DEET, sunblock, lip balm – second front left hip belt pocket.
5. Water bottle, small filter/chemicals — side mesh pocket
6. Second water bottle – second side mesh pocket
Since pretty much everything I need is on the outside, I use a large 'contractor bag' as a pack liner — twist it tight — close up and strap down the pack — and everything's rainproof.