Topic

Short People & The Gatewood Cape

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Was talking to a Linda Vassallo last night about gear and question came up about the length of the Gatewood Cape in Poncho mode and short people.

We are about the same height (5'6" to 5'7") and were wondering if the Gatewood Cape would be too long for short people to effectively use without dragging the ends of it on the ground or becoming a tripping hazzard.

As a shelter, the Gatewood Cape looks great with coverage 360 degrees around from the elements.

Any short people out there using the Gatewood Cape sucessfully?

Would love to hear what your experiences have been.

-Tony

PostedDec 11, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I'm 5-8. I can't use the Gatewood cape unclipped, but clipped there is plenty of distance from the bottom of the cape to the ground.

Coin Page BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 5:45 pm

I take the two side corner loops around my back to the snap on the opposite side, and vice versa for the other side. This shortens the hang by a few inches on the sides, and also drapes the cape tighter around my body so my hands swinging the walking sticks don't catch on the cape. In driving rain the protection is a little better too.
The rear corner is usually over my pack, and is much shorter, so it doesn't usually need to be snapped anywhere, but it could go to either side.

This can get a little tangled taking the cape off, and putting it on – I usually unsnap everything and start over.
But for steady walking, and especially bushwhacking or steep climbing, for me its well worth the little bit of extra attention.

PostedJan 2, 2009 at 10:06 am

Sorry, just saw this post. I'm 5'8" and the sides touch the ground on me. I usually pull some up and stuff it in my pockets or in my waist band. Cross snapping as mentioned by Coin is a great idea though….

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedJan 2, 2009 at 10:44 am

Erik,

Good to know….unless I start taking human growth hormone shots or by a miracle have a 2nd puberty hit, I guess that the Gatewood Cape is not an option for me.

No worries, I love my MLD poncho tarp…it makes me look like a scary homeless guy when I walk about the neighborhood with it. :)

-Tony

PostedJan 5, 2009 at 11:16 am

Ha! Gotcha – it definitely takes some playing with to get it right.

By the way – I think you're the Sawyer in-line filter expert on these boards. Got one for Christmas and have been reviewing your posts to help me put together my system – thought I should say "thanks" since I had your attention…. :-D

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedJan 5, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Erik,

Hey, thanks for letting me know.

Glad that someone benefited from my detailed review on it that I wrote up last year.

I really need to take some photos of my setup and insert them into the review to make it easier for people to see how it is all put together.

Let me know how it works for you or if you can see any improvements.

The only gripe that I have with it is the Platypus Water Tank not sealing shut easily….frankly annoying and poor design.

-Tony

PostedJan 6, 2009 at 11:26 am

No, thank you.

Right now I'm using my existing platy as my "clean" tank and just pulling the bite valve off and attaching to the bottom (receive flow) of the Sawyer filter.

Ideal would be to have a zip bag (for the wide mouth to scoop water) with a hang cord like the water tank. I don't think they make such an item with those features together. So, I think I'm going to use my wife's old platy (not using it much anyhow)as the dirty bag, put some grommets in the corners for a hang cord (think I saw something similar done on Jason Klass' site) / over the shoulder carrier (in case I need to filter water on the go – which I doubt).

Would love to see photos of your set up though – pictures are, as they say, worth a thousand words….. ha, ha…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...